New problem

Matt McClung

Hotair guy who owns a I/C
well, now I just had to change things.

I just installed the GN1 4 inch mafless pipe because I really like how the air filter is out of the way of the AC lines. I also moved the LS1 maf to the up pipe. Where I had great BLM's before, I now have low BLM's (115) so now because the maf is relocated, it now wants to pull fuel. The translator is limited as I cannot adjust midrange throttle, only idle and Wot. But I do have a wideband to adjust wot fuel with the powerlogger anyway. Anyone else run into this issue? Maybe I should just go speed density and get rid of the maf altogether.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys

I've never heard of running the MAF in the up pipe. Might want to try and get it back in the intake pipe and see if it fixes your issue.

There was a guy called Bruce Plecan (RIP) who placed the MAF before the TB about 13 years or so ago? Cant remember. Search on GNTTYPE.org. Bruce reported increased throttle response.

If the pipe before the MAF isn't straight, it can result in turbulent air hitting the sensor and throwing it off. It's probably adviced to use the aluminum LT1 MAF.

Verify MAF installation to ensure it's not backwards.

I used a 4" intake with LS7 blade MAF and it worked awesome. Will probably sell it one of these days so someone puts it to use. Lol

Last edited:
I ran a ls1 maf in the up pipe (blow through) for a period of time and it worked great. The biggest advantage was getting rid of a stumble on the horse sneeze. The maf was reading the back flow and triggering fuel. This was eliminated once the maf was moved to blow through configuration.

115 BLM is not all that bad. It still has plenty of room for correction but if it bothers you, there is a BLM adjustment in the chip you can play with.

Pretty sure it took Bruce a major chip change when he did moved the MAF. It would be awesome if relocated it was the norm and chip burners were up to speed with it that way. It's always better to put a restriction on the high pressure side of a pump than the low pressure side.

Keep in mind, up pipe air is a lot more 'energetic' than underhood/CAI air. Not to mention WOT uppipe air is a LOT more energetic. It's not apples and apples. The MAF doesn't know it's dealing with artificially heated air (density changes, temps that don't exist in real life, etc...) so the ECM would have to adjust accordingly.

I've thought about moving mine for years, but honestly I just pretty much forget my GN is in the garage. Sometimes I thinking about driving it but if another car is in the way, that's it.