New part new problem

turbotphilf

I recently replaced my stock air box on my 87 turbo T with a new MAF pipe & 8" K&N filter! It works much Better but when I let off the gas I can hear a flapping sound for about a second then it goes away. any ideas would be greatly appreciated !!!

It's perfectly normal. It is called turbo snort by some. :) When your throttle body closes, the result is the air making that horse sneeze. You just hear it more with the open system.

Thats normal, if don't like it,you can by a "Turbo pop-off valve" an it will stop, All it is is the air that was going to the motor going out the air filter instead.

Enjoy!

I tend to hear it alot less in my GN that has a cold air kit which puts the K&N down behind the front lights then in my TType that has the 14" K&N in the engine compartment.

Yea, I have it behind the head lights as well and it's quite loud but I'll have to get used to it! it just sounds wrong!

You can also try to release the throttle slowly as well. You can use a blow off valve but not everyone likes to use them.

I recently replaced my stock air box on my 87 turbo T with a new MAF pipe & 8" K&N filter! It works much Better but when I let off the gas I can hear a flapping sound for about a second then it goes away. any ideas would be greatly appreciated !!!

I love that sound. I call it the angry dolphin. I love doing it down town and seeing heads turn.

I cured my 70 gtq by replaceing the compressor cover on the turbo with a ported shroud model ..no more ...ta ta ta when you let off the gas .do a search lots of info on this site