New owner of an 83 T-Type.

Two questions.

1) How hard is it to pull the heads? I know all the original plastic vacume lines will break and I will get them mixed up. I have no books for this car so links to a manual would be great!!

2) Can I drop a piston from the bottom to change rings? That will be if everything else looks OK.

If you pull the heads you might as well pull the engine. Makes it much easier, and no, the pistons won't come out the bottom. If it blew a head gasket you will need to pull the engine any way. Antifreeze is not kind to bearings so the block will need to be cleaned and checked.:frown:

Two questions.

1) How hard is it to pull the heads? I know all the original plastic vacume lines will break and I will get them mixed up. I have no books for this car so links to a manual would be great!!

2) Can I drop a piston from the bottom to change rings? That will be if everything else looks OK.

do you have access to the stock airbox that came with the car? if so, you can channel blowby like i did, just remove the breather cap with one thats similar to factory and just route it to the airbox. I have blowby problems with my car that i will fix (eventually:redface:) and this happened to be a good part time fix to the problem. you can put breather filter back in if you want, and remove the filter, or vice versa. i dont have a filter or a breather filter, but it seems to be doing alright. I cant believe that GN northwest cant work on C/T cars

What are those cut hoses hanging out? One behind the turbo (might be PCV?) and one over by the ESC module. Looks about 3/8".

And yeah, that's the ESC module, all wired up and ready to go.

power washer compression tester

looks like a power wash gal of disel fuel and compression tester would go along way to locating some of your problems that and a lot of replacement hoses nice ride tho

Thanks for the replys and ideas guys, but the motor is toast. It blows smoke and OIL from the VC vent cap as soon as the car is started. Head gasket is gone too.

Looking for a motor now, and will need some advice when I change that out and tunning. How about a list of other things that I should do with the motor out?

Just rebuild the one that's in there and rebuild the turbo while your at it. Flush the oil feed line, pcv valve, and return for the turbo with brake clean. Port the snot out of everything. Not so much the heads but everything else.

Thanks for the replys and ideas guys, but the motor is toast. It blows smoke and OIL from the VC vent cap as soon as the car is started. Head gasket is gone too.

Looking for a motor now, and will need some advice when I change that out and tunning. How about a list of other things that I should do with the motor out?

put new motor mounts in. do it now and you wont have to do it later. port the heads, block the heat crossovers off, drill the oil passages to 1/2 inch in the cover, rebuild the oil pump it only cost $10 or so, add a booster plate if you adapter is bad. what state do you live in?

Im in North Florida. I called about the one for sale here in Orange Park Fl, but it is $800 for a short block. It is for sale from KendallF. Sounds like it will work for my needs. I also found one with "10k to 15k" miles on rebuild and pulled from a wrecked GN. 84-85 motor with heads and front covers. $475 but 5 hour drive.....each way but fuel is not an issue.

OK. I just made a deal for the CL motor.
Can you say........ROOOAADDD TRIPPPPP?

Best way to cover and carry the motor in the bed of a pick up?
Im thinking two old tires and duck tape!

take some rope or tie down straps with you. If you can I would set it on a tire and pallet and use ratchet ties to keep it on the pallet

take some rope or tie down straps with you. If you can I would set it on a tire and pallet and use ratchet ties to keep it on the pallet

And take some tools with you so you can take the pan off and check the mains and at least one rod. 4 or 5 are the ones that have the most issues with spinning. If they're good take one head off and check the bore. Make sure it's good before you load it up or you may regret it.

well if he's gonna do that much work 5 hours away he just as well rebuild the one he has. I'd go that route anyway.

well if he's gonna do that much work 5 hours away he just as well rebuild the one he has. I'd go that route anyway.

Thinking of what David (Turbopowered68) Went through Jesse. He got screwed on a "low mileage engine" and still had to have it rebuilt.:mad:

Thanks guys. I already have my tool bag loaded. I dont think I will pull a head, but I will pull the pan and if all looks good, Ill be heading south with it.

I just hope someone remembers to let my DOG out......and don't play in the car while its on the ramps!:)

OK, Three cups of cofffeeeee and it 3am...I'm outahr!

UMMM. You have no idea how much I don't want to post this!!!!

Bottom line, I got in a hurry to get back home and did not check the oil pan. "Help me load it, I got to go". Engine was not rebuilt! Got home and after someone said "let's pull the pan", we had it down to the block in about 2 hours on my tail gate with bag-o-tools. All original from what it looks like and not any good other than crank and block and 8445 heads. But, it all looks good for a .020 over rebuild.
I take the blame for letting this happen to me! BUT--If anyone is looking for "Grand National" parts in Atlanta (Covington) GA., do not call 678-625-1895! It is a rip off!!

So, what to do now? Looking like a full rebuild of this block and have the heads checked. Put in a little better cam and drive it for 100k miles. Or, Sell as is running with a spare rebuildable block?

Don't use the waffle paddles please.....

Attachments

• SAM_0003.jpg
    SAM_0003.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 166
  • t261block.jpg
    t261block.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 151
  • block code.jpg
    block code.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 162
I know it makes it harder to answer my questions now, but can I de-bur the motor myself with a drill, before the machine shop?

The valley.

Just found out the Crank is stock 3.8. I was sold a stock 3.8......trashed.

I post my pain so others will not be as DA as I have been.
..........hey, can I quote that?

The valley.

Just found out the Crank is stock 3.8. I was sold a stock 3.8......trashed.

I post my pain so others will not be as DA as I have been.
..........hey, can I quote that?

You can if you want lol. I am not sure what can be done about the valley area.