New owner of an 83 T-Type.

Hotwheelbill

I posted on the main page and was told about this forum.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/348968-my-first-tb.html

I have no idea what has been done to the car! What you see is what I got. But for $1500, I think I'm ahead of the game. The motor has some problems. A lot of blow by. Has to be a broken ring...or two...or three. It is pushing oil smoke out of the drivers side VC vent right from start up. No smoke from tail pipe, even under boost(yea I ran it up a touch on the way home-a lot of valve chatter too under boost). It also ran hot on the way home-220. The radiator and over flow are full of crud. Looks like block sealer. No water in crank oil. I was not real sure what to look for with this car and have no idea of any missing electronics, but did know the Holley was not stock. New exhaust as well. Hey, the ac works!
I don't see how this is an easy fix motor. I have a lot to start reading and kind of like the 4.1 swap idea, but still reading.

If it's blowing water into the tank then I'd bet it's got a bad head gasket at least.

Welcome to the red headed step child section.:biggrin:

The "chatter" may be bad gas so make sure to clean the tank and put super in it. I'm not an "expert" but I try to help if I can. There's more to these cars than most realize but most really don't care.:frown: There's lots of tech on the board but I will also suggest BEFORE BLACK Website . Rich George is the owner and has outlined a lot of info on the early cars. Another place is petesbuick.html . He's a member but hasn't been on in a long time.

Hope we can help you get it running right and make it faster than expected.:cool:

If it's blowing water into the tank then I'd bet it's got a bad head gasket at least.

Welcome to the red headed step child section.:biggrin:

The "chatter" may be bad gas so make sure to clean the tank and put super in it. I'm not an "expert" but I try to help if I can. There's more to these cars than most realize but most really don't care.:frown: There's lots of tech on the board but I will also suggest BEFORE BLACK Website . Rich George is the owner and has outlined a lot of info on the early cars. Another place is petesbuick.html . He's a member but hasn't been on in a long time.

Hope we can help you get it running right and make it faster than expected.:cool:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szeO5oqt6wo[/YOUTUBE]

I THOUGHT THAT CAR LOOKED FAMILIAR....:biggrin::biggrin: nice pegleg... welcome to the underground section i guess...

Thats why it looks familiar lmao... I didn't know FleeBag had that, did he tell you it had a problem? His flat black GN is sick!

I just watched that video a few days ago! Nice burn out!

BTW, I was told it might be a good idea to get a beater to drive to work from now on so I don't have to worry about the truck anymore. Guess what I got the ok to buy:cool:

LOL!!
Yea, thats the car and the guy that sold it to me. I was told it had this blow by problem when he bought it too. Sounds like now, he just Dogged the piss out of it for 6 months and I got what is left.

But, like I said, I bought it knowing it was getting a rebuild.......or parting out?:rolleyes:

Fleebag just helped me pick it up and followed my home. Maybe too close, he's still cleaning oil off his windsheild.

I just watched that video a few days ago! Nice burn out!

BTW, I was told it might be a good idea to get a beater to drive to work from now on so I don't have to worry about the truck anymore. Guess what I got the ok to buy:cool:

You are such a glutton for punisment Jesse.:biggrin:

LOL!!
Yea, thats the car and the guy that sold it to me. I was told it had this blow by problem when he bought it too. Sounds like now, he just Dogged the piss out of it for 6 months and I got what is left.

But, like I said, I bought it knowing it was getting a rebuild.......or parting out?:rolleyes:

Fleebag just helped me pick it up and followed my home. Maybe too close, he's still cleaning oil off his windsheild.

LOL I can just see him getting out at every light with some carb cleaner and a rag.:eek::biggrin:

Thats why it looks familiar lmao... I didn't know FleeBag had that, did he tell you it had a problem? His flat black GN is sick!

NO NO:eek:
i didn have that...LOL
I just took him to go get it. And now i have to wash my truck because there is a oil sheen all across the front..
Good Luck Bill

With that carb and distributor, presumably all the emissions and computer has been removed. Then you likely have no functioning knock sensor or spark retard. No knock protection could explain the blowby. :(

I would look into rigging up some sort of knock sensor. If the factory sensor and module in still there, then you can hook up a aftermarket knock gauge (like from Casper's Electronics).

if you dont mind can you take a picture of the passanger side of the motor. do you happen to know how much boost that is running? i cant tell if it is an adjustable wastegate.

With that carb and distributor, presumably all the emissions and computer has been removed. Then you likely have no functioning knock sensor or spark retard. No knock protection could explain the blowby. :(

I would look into rigging up some sort of knock sensor. If the factory sensor and module in still there, then you can hook up a aftermarket knock gauge (like from Casper's Electronics).

Gotta agree here with Rich. MSD makes a knock sensor set up and you can get it from Mike Licht at full throttle speed and custom. You need more info on what's going on with the car so you don't blow it up worse than it is now.

You better just let me buy that car off you. It would give me a good excuse to build a 4.1 for my we4;)

Here are some pics

Attachments

• tb1.jpg
    tb1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 255
  • tb2.jpg
    tb2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 259
  • tb3.jpg
    tb3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 246
  • tb4.jpg
    tb4.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 261
Two questions.

1) How hard is it to pull the heads? I know all the original plastic vacume lines will break and I will get them mixed up. I have no books for this car so links to a manual would be great!!

2) Can I drop a piston from the bottom to change rings? That will be if everything else looks OK.