New NHRA Rule - Oil-retention Device

Nashty

WORLD'S FASTEST ......geo
Oil-retention Device
Beginning Jan. 1, 2007, all Comp competitors will be required to have an oil-retention device meeting either SFI Spec 7.1 or 7.2. For Jan. 1, 2008, the same rule will apply for Super Gas, Super Comp, and any E.T. vehicle running 9.99 or quicker or 135 mph or faster. NHRA is developing an implementation strategy for an oil-retention device meeting the SFI specification for the reminder of the NHRA Lucas categories.

===================

Has anyone done anything to their cars to comply with this yet? I presume it's just an engine diaper but what and where are you getting yours?

Roger

This means an engine diaper. I run one a dragster. They are sort of universal make fit. Jeg's or Summit. You have to be careful it doesn't move into the balancer or flywheel. Most people strap them to the exhaust bolts with the tabs supplied. I hope someone makes a custom one for the TR's soon. Esp. if it is street driven.:eek:

That sounds like a good thing. Oil downs take too long to clean up, especially with the numb skulls that make sure they keep going so that they can oil down the whole track.

The problem is getting one to fit on a stock G body crossmember...That gap bewteen the oil pan and crossmember is very small.

With all the oil leaks the V6's have, We'd have to clean it weekly.:D We had one on T2. It was a one size fits all. It was a pain in the A$$ trying to clear turbo headers and all that jazz. I'm sure it wont be a big deal for friday night test & tunes.

No one here runs Comp, so there's a year to comply.

In the 28 COMP races I made last year, we only had a small hand full of oil downs from the other Comp racers. Id say we had all year only a small handfull of oil downs vrs a handfull of oil/water downs every day from the street guys
If your raceing on a day when they got there bracket raceing going, if your not gonna run a diaper for your own safty, do it for the other guys saftey of how bout this, just plain Courtious. 2-3 hours a day of cleanup is a lot, especially when comes from the frickin street guys. We pay alot to bracket race for the weekend and it really sucks when some 20 yr old punk fricks it up for everyone.
I'm climbing down from my pedastal now. Have a nice day.
Craig

In the 28 COMP races I made last year, we only had a small hand full of oil downs from the other Comp racers. Id say we had all year only a small handfull of oil downs vrs a handfull of oil/water downs every day from the street guys
If your raceing on a day when they got there bracket raceing going, if your not gonna run a diaper for your own safty, do it for the other guys saftey of how bout this, just plain Courtious. 2-3 hours a day of cleanup is a lot, especially when comes from the frickin street guys. We pay alot to bracket race for the weekend and it really sucks when some 20 yr old punk fricks it up for everyone.
Craig

Here, here. Jolly good. OK. Now everyone put on their diapers. We're tired of cleaning up after you. Young fellers too.

Yup...

went to Moroso for T&T a couple of months back, and they told us straight out next time, diaper or can't play ! Went out and bought one from Jegs which we have to put in.

Engine Diaper

The one that Summit sells is not SFI approved unless they have something not listed on their site.

The part # I could find are :

RCI Engine Diaper RCI-7809A, Replacement Pads RCI-7809B Non-SFI
J & J Diaper 560-JJPD1 Non-SFI,

The only devices that I could find that met SFI 7.1 or greater.

J & J Performance 560-JJPD1SFI
Stroud SFI Approved 7.2 Ballistic, SFI Approved 7.1 Kevlar

I know there are also some double pans out there too that are SFI Approved 7.1

The spec that I understand have to meet.

OIL RETENTION DEVICE:

An engine oil-retention is mandatory. Minimum material- .50-inch aluminum or .040-inch carbon fiber/Kevlar. Pan may extend rearward of the motor plate to capture oil from rear mail seal. But no more than 3-inches rearward of the motor plate. Pan length from motor plate forward must extend a minimum of 1-inch forward of the front face of the lower pulley. Pan can be no staying within the confines of the bulkheads. wider than outside edge of the bottom frame rails and must extend to the top of the upper frame rails. Pan must be either a one piece design or constructed as to be sealed as a retention device to retain oil. Must have a minimum 4-inch high bulkhead on front and a minimum 2-inch high bulkhead on rear for oil retention during acceleration and deceleration. Bulkheads must be coved toward oil pan to assist oil in.

If some one has better or more info please post up.

Later AJ

Craig

You ran at 28 NHRA Lucas events in Comp Eliminator (initial post in thread)? I stand corrected. That's a whole lotta racing.

Its about time someone cought it or is anel enuff to question it. I made 28 races in Modified Et. class. Ie: No Box.
The point being, the guys w/ real race cars going to the track every weekend had way less casualties than the guys who brought there rides up for 1 or 2 days worth of raceing.

Craig

I figured I would resurrect this thread to see if anyone has given this any more thought, if so what have y'all come up with? I have found this, it's a little pricey but if they get it right it might be easier than messing with a universal one.

The DRE Engine Diaper

Steve T.

Well, at least everyone will have something to catch all those pesty, slow oil leaks.

The post made by 78GN, makes it pretty clear that the intent of the "oil retention device" is to retain oil, not shrapnel.. A .050 alum hull, over a stock oil pan, surely won't do much to "retain" a con rod cap, at 7000 rpm...
The reason the Buick diapers are so expensive: They each come w/ an engine hoist...