New N/A Combo - first run

Trying to remember my last "street" combo's...10.2:1,4.1, pump gas 246-256 hydraulic flat tappet,650 Holley,Weiand 7542, 4.56 rear,26" tire, best of 13.64...later, on a solid roller, the T&D's broke on the spring side due to excessive clearancing for the 1.46" dia springs...the Sharp's broke intake's on the pushrod side due to the 180* tip 1 piece pushrods - must use a 210* tip on bigger lifts GB

Hopefully not hi-jacking here but........

If anyone wants to build N/A I have some parts available

1. Weiand 7541 Single plan manifold, new in box

2. Holley 600, new in box

3. Headers for 78-87 G-body 231 N/A V6 - used but no rust

Not sure I am going to build the N/A motor so I will put it up for grabs

Hit me on e-mail if I can be of some help.

Tderickls1@aol.com

Funny you say that. When I was planning this build a while ago I could not find ANY good info on an N/A V6 buildup.

Here is the direction I wanted to go in...

I wanted to do this build without spending a ton of money as I already have certain parts in line. If the build were to get pricey I might as well go to the turbo stuff as I have worked with them for a while.

I have a 86 regal plain Jane model with no power options.
-Heat A/C and power steering removed
-TH350 with 3000 stall 10inch converter
-2950 w/ NO driver

Motor...

-stock "109" 231ci bottom end w/decent compression
-218/218 cam
-8445 heads race ported w/ a .030 cut and 40cc
-Single plane Weiand
-Holley 600
-Headers

How does this combo look? What kind of E.T do you think are in reach?
Basically I wanted to put this together and then go with some nitrous to get the E.T.s in a respectable range.

Thanks for the input

fuzzyGN said:
Greg, so the 224 would be a little small for a stroker (272") then. That has been my guess from the start. You said you broke a lot of rockers with the old set-up. Were they rollers and if so what kind? Was it because of the shaft style or just too much lift? Very interested.

On the 300HP discussion, I agree that you would need to step it up to get there, to the point that it might not be too fun to drive on the street. More cam, compression, carb and intake equate to more needed rear gear, race gas, and lazy down low. It all depends on what you are willing to live with. I don't drive mine much on the street anymore but when I do it is a chore.

Could you use a built 200R4 with 4.56 rear? Final drive would still be low 3's

what about the 250 side of the coin...would that still be streetable and alright to drive...and if so how much cam and compression would i need. and what other info...would i need stage heads or could a nice port and polish do the trick? what ssort of lifters and all would i need to change...mind you i still want to be streetable

To get 250 is more obtainable but if that is your goal I would start with a 4.1L to give a little head start. In that case, ported irons would work well enough and the cam could be much more streetable. Could probably get away with a flat tappet cam something like a 218 or maybe slightly larger. The biggest expense will be pistons but an option is either decking the block or steel shim head gaskets for a 4" bore. That combo should get you close to 250 flywheel HP but may be a few short. If you could find some pistons that were around 9.5:1 then you would get it no problem.
When I start building a "streetable" car, I don't get hung up too much on "What will it make" but rather "what am I willing to live with". If you don't mind having a rumpty cam with choppy idle and bad vacuum, then go for it. If you don't mind a car that will pass anything but a gas station then go wild. Once those decisions are made, then build your engine/car around them. Usually you will be happier with the final result in the long run.

As for the 200-4R, sure you could use it in a N/A application. One thing to keep in mind though is the steeper first gear (compared to a TH-350) so the 4.56 gears might be a bit overkill. It all depends on the set-up and weight of the car. Heavy car; more gear to get the mass rolling.

The SMALLEST cam I ever used was a 224-224 in my 9.5:1 4.1... I don't have any good numbers on that combo because horrible machine work kept in the high 14's. That said, your combo looks pretty well matched, given the cubes and low compression, Ted. Probably right around 1 hp/ci. Maybe 14.60's with the right gear...Moe - of course...at these power levels a stock 200r4 would work great, but takes a little more power to turn than a th350.... Georgiaboy - it all depends on what you're starting with...3.8 or 4.1, stock stroke or something bigger. Stage 2 heads on a stock block can be done, BUT it's a HUGE expense, and pain, and race only without some boost. T/A, GN-1, and the old M&A's will work great n/a'd. GB

If anyone's interested, Bill Chaffin won the Pacific SportNationals in his ss/bx 87 Regal. It's a 272in Stage 2 with a Dominator on top that runs 10.3's at 124mph...I'm feeling a little under-carbureted GB

That is impressive. GB I saw your sig and yep you do look a bit under carbed lol.

:biggrin: