New MSD DIS4-compatability???

Joe Lubrant

" The Right Stuff "
I see that MSD has released their New DIS-4 system.
It now incorporates rotary switches in lieu of the dip switches in the older units.

Are these New Units compatable with the Fast system for the GN/TR ???

Since the older MSD systems did have compatability issues, what changes did MSD make to resolve the issues???

I guess that the rest of us owners with the older DIS-4's that still have issues will be left out in the cold :confused:

The old thread regarding MSD DIS-4 issues sort of died with not much help being offered by MSD.

I'm sure that most would not mind sending their older units in for Upgrade at a reasonable charge. Is MSD willing to offer that service???

Good Question ,I do know MSD did Know their were Issues with our cars.Be nice if they did stand up to the plate and im sure most would be willing to pay for an upgrade

I have no knowledge of the msd boxes, what benefits can one see from using one?
I allready have a 10 sec gn and do not have any ignition issues.

Thanks.:)

For one you can use the 2 step feature for consistant launches. It can used to take out timing later in run. Multiple sparks below 3000 rpm for better efficiency. Hotter spark above 3000 to open up the plug gaps for more HP.

I talked to Spike 3 days ago at MSD. The new box will offer the adjustablilty to properly sinc with the FAST, MOTEC ect. aftermarket ECU's without sending the FAST or DIS-4 back in to whoever.

Spike said the new box WILL be 100% compatible. I am waiting untill June, when the box will be available.

Originally posted by Ted A.
I talked to Spike 3 days ago at MSD. The new box will offer the adjustablilty to properly sinc with the FAST, MOTEC ect. aftermarket ECU's without sending the FAST or DIS-4 back in to whoever.

Spike said the new box WILL be 100% compatible. I am waiting untill June, when the box will be available.

Ted,

Thanks for the update on the new unit. I thought it was already available since it was being advertised in GMHT magazine.

In any event I am still a little p****o** that previous owners that have issues have a flower planter!!! If the Ricer crowd had issues I believe MSD would have done something to resolve/fix the problem..........or offer some type exchange/upgrade service??

In the old thread neither Fast or MSD claimed any type of fault, but based on what MSD is doing I have to assume that most of the incompatibility issues were in the MSD DIS-4 Box. It seems they made numerous revisions from the Orig. to the HO etc. and just compounded the problems.

Anyone interested in buying my DIS-4 Box for cheap????

Originally posted by Joe Lubrant
Ted,

Thanks for the update on the new unit. I thought it was already available since it was being advertised in GMHT magazine.

In any event I am still a little p****o** that previous owners that have issues have a flower planter!!! If the Ricer crowd had issues I believe MSD would have done something to resolve/fix the problem..........or offer some type exchange/upgrade service??

In the old thread neither Fast or MSD claimed any type of fault, but based on what MSD is doing I have to assume that most of the incompatibility issues were in the MSD DIS-4 Box. It seems they made numerous revisions from the Orig. to the HO etc. and just compounded the problems.

Anyone interested in buying my DIS-4 Box for cheap????

gawddammit, Joe! Why couldn't you have written this a week and a half back..?? (I "won" a DIS-4 on Ebay last week.) ;)

I'm going to forward this thread on to my college buddy.. He's an engineer at MSD & will probably have a little more insight to technical specifics on the issue at hand.. May get the same answer as Ted, but it's worth a shot..

Linc

Id say in a word or two.:HE DID
if you look at your post it was on the 30th Joes origonal was on the 22nd
Thats a week in my book;)

I finally got the new MSD box. I'll be testing it next week and let everyone know how/if it works.

i had a talk with a rep from msd, he said the HO box is strictly not for street use, such as a heavy duty pump on the street, constaint use can burn it out...

but yeah im still waiting for mine, let us know the results

cal did you get the HO or the standard dis 4 box?

The new box is is called "DIS 4 HO plus" I checked out the one Cal has. Its a fancier version of the current box. Has a bunch of small dials to include a retard when on the 2 step/output .

On the above note, it is quite clear that MSD is going to leave us holding the bag on this one. My box stopped working 2 months after purchase. Then started 6 months later working again. :mad:

part # 62152 dis 4 plus (street use)
part # 62153 dis 4 plus HO (limited use, track only)

both box's come new with dials and step retard

part # 6215 old dis 4 box discontinued

sorry to hear that louie, ive sent back the old ones countless amount of times. hopefully they solved its problem

For being the leader in ignition Ive had trouble with a 6a and 7al both let the smoke out. Makes me wonder how they stay a major vendor for racing.

Originally posted by chevyII
For being the leader in ignition Ive had trouble with a 6a and 7al both let the smoke out. Makes me wonder how they stay a major vendor for racing.

same here I've had plenty of troubles with 6al's and 7 series on nitrous sb cars

never had a dis4 because of the troubles I've read about on here...hopefully the new boxes with fix the issues :)

Mine is installed and running. It wires in using the same harness to the module. The only wiring change is the 2-step input is now 12 volts. I like the dial setup much better. You no longer need a "dip switch matrix" to figure out the settings. Another plus is the rev limiters (2-step and max) are in 100 rpm increments, vs the old 250. It also has a 0-9.9 degree timing reatrd when a certain wire sees 12 volts. I just wired the 2-step and timing retard wires together.

I have the new box on a car and so far it is working fine. I have another one being installed and will see how it works out on that one.

Joe L, give me a call sometime I might have something for you.