New motorcycle opinion

Originally posted by efi-street
IMO, if you want to look, sound, and feel like you're on a Harley, just buy a Harley. :D

That is exactly why Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Victory, sell so many bikes. Most of these people want something different.

I used to admire Harley's until I went for a ride on a new Dyna wide glide. Terrible handling, crappy brakes, uncomfortable, ZERO power. Looked good parked in front of a tavern though, which is what it is designed to do.

I used to wonder why most Harley guys trailered their bikes - now I know why.

Originally posted by lieu910
That is exactly why Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Victory, sell so many bikes. Most of these people want something different.

Most want something different, and then they go buy a bike meant to copy a Harley!!?? hhhhhmmm!?

I used to admire Harley's until I went for a ride on a new Dyna wide glide. Terrible handling, crappy brakes, uncomfortable, ZERO power. Looked good parked in front of a tavern though, which is what it is designed to do.

My Heritage handles, brakes, and is comfortable enough to ride anywhere. It makes more than enough power for most people to handle.

I have over 10k miles on mine. It only saw a trailer once.

Most want something different, and then they go buy a bike meant to copy a Harley!!?? hhhhhmmm!?

It's like the Colt ACP 1911 .45,,,that was the original design,,,but through the years other gun makers took that original design and improved on it. I'd take a kimber 1911 over a Colt 1911 any day!

Same goes for the out dated Harley designs and engineering,,,Victory and Jap brands have improved on these designs where Harley is riding on there name. Pick up any Cycle Trader and look how many Harleys are for sale compared to any other brands. With the exception of the V-Rod and a few minor engine improvements there has been no change.

Originally posted by NCTURBOS

My Heritage handles, brakes, and is comfortable enough to ride anywhere. It makes more than enough power for most people to handle.

I have over 10k miles on mine. It only saw a trailer once.

Guess that all depends on someone's frame of reference. I doubt a BMW R1150RS owner would agree after a ride on a Heritage, but the important thing is that you like it and are happy with it. I doubt you'll find many objective reports on Harley's praising them for their handling, braking or performance (save for the V-rod).

As for copying Harley's style, I'll agree, but the engineering is far superior on the import bikes and I think that drives much of their sales. There is a bit of that "lemming" factor that drives people away from Harley also.

I find the styling on import cruisers has evolved beyond Harley and is becoming more comperable to Victory in some ways. Becoming much cleaner and streamlined in some of the newer models I've seen. Mean Streak, 1800F, Warrior and some others are good examples of bikes with big twins that have evolved past the "copy" designs.

Congrats on the 10,000 miles! I'm sure the Heritage can crank out interstate with ease. My experience though is that anytime I mention a week's road trip to my Harley owner buddies, they immediately think trailer and that's affirmed by how many I see being towed to their destination.

Harley = not my cup of tea. When they can build a bike with over 100hp at the rear wheel with top notch engineering, brakes, acceleration, handling and manners with competitive pricing, maybe I'll rethink my position. I would consider a Victory however.

ride safe.

Originally posted by gnturboray
Same goes for the out dated Harley designs and engineering,,,

Same goes for the "out dated" Buick in your sig. as well... Right? But you still own it?? Let me guess, that's why the 350z as well?

Owning a Harley to most isn't about the latest & greatest design, engineering, etc. Trust me I know all about performance and how the metric bikes outperform in many areas.

K.

Same goes for the "out dated" Buick in your sig. as well... Right? But you still own it??

Owning a Harley to most isn't about the latest & greatest design, engineering, etc. Trust me I know all about performance and how the metric bikes outperform in many areas.

K.

You hit the nail on the head. There is a difference between a motorcycle enthusiast and a Harley guy. Guys buy Harley's because the want a piece of that mystique and image. Enthusiasts tend to be more concerned with the performance and function and less concerned about being able to say "I own a Harley".

Must be why those two groups are rarely seen holding hands.

;) ;)

You hit the nail on the head. There is a difference between a motorcycle enthusiast and a Harley guy. Guys buy Harley's because the want a piece of that mystique and image. Enthusiasts tend to be more concerned with the performance and function and less concerned about being able to say "I own a Harley".

Must be why those two groups are rarely seen holding hands.

;) ;)

You're correct. There's motorcycle enthusiasts and there's Harley enthusiasts. Both enjoy the ride, scenary, etc, but have key word--"opinions"-- otherwise. Kinda like Buick vs Mustang vs F-body, etc.

K.

Same goes for the "out dated" Buick in your sig. as well... Right? But you still own it?? Let me guess, that's why the 350z as well?

The Buick in my sig only has 700 original miles,,It's not driven,,,,the 350z is my wife's car,,,she bought it before we were married. Personally it's fun to drive but in my opinion it's a chick car. ;)

I rode a Co-workers Harley, it was all black with fairings and saddle bags, I forgot the name of it. It was very heavy and slow, I mean very slow. I ride sportbikes and I own a Suzuki Hayabusa, there is no comparison. Even my old GSXR 600 would out perform a Harley. The Harley is not for me at this age in my life and I dont see it in my near future. Most guys on Harleys think they are the CHIT, us stunters/riders tell them whats up and they think they are too good. We are all riders, so why be stuck up. get what bike you think you can afford and have the most fun with. And the metric bikes out perform in all areas. Now that everyone has a Harley, they are nothing but old conversations.

Originally posted by BLACK DEATH DSR
I rode a Co-workers Harley, it was all black with fairings and saddle bags, I forgot the name of it. It was very heavy and slow, I mean very slow. I ride sportbikes and I own a Suzuki Hayabusa, there is no comparison. Even my old GSXR 600 would out perform a Harley. The Harley is not for me at this age in my life and I dont see it in my near future. Most guys on Harleys think they are the CHIT, us stunters/riders tell them whats up and they think they are too good. We are all riders, so why be stuck up. get what bike you think you can afford and have the most fun with. And the metric bikes out perform in all areas. Now that everyone has a Harley, they are nothing but old conversations.

Jap bikes outperform in NEARLY all areas. Shall we mention resale?

Seriously, you are trying to compare a GN to a Toyota Camry, apples to oranges. The people riding the metric cruisers are riding them because they just want to ride a bike, people riding Harleys do it because they care about the sport. We won't go into all the yuppie trash on Harleys though, they get looked down on by everybody. As for the original post, Victory motorcycles are more American than any Harley has been in the past 20 years. They are also a nice compromise between riding a Harley and a jap bike, best of both worlds IMHO. Have yet to hear anything bad about them from an owner. Funny how one guy I work with spent some bucks putting a stage 2 kit in his Heritage to get it to match a stock Victory.

The reason for that is a Harley Evo engine is a descendent of a tractor motor. There is no “modern technology” in it. There is a long lineage of upgrades from the Pan Head and Shovel Head. That’s why Harley went to Porsche to design and build the V-Rod Motor (Revolution). Harley openly admitted during the V-Rod documentary they did not have the technology to transform their race motor to a street motor.

Originally posted by 1badTTA

Seriously, you are trying to compare a GN to a Toyota Camry, apples to oranges. The people riding the metric cruisers are riding them because they just want to ride a bike, people riding Harleys do it because they care about the sport. We won't go into all the yuppie trash on Harleys though, they get looked down on by everybody. As for the original post, Victory motorcycles are more American than any Harley has been in the past 20 years. They are also a nice compromise between riding a Harley and a jap bike, best of both worlds IMHO. Have yet to hear anything bad about them from an owner. Funny how one guy I work with spent some bucks putting a stage 2 kit in his Heritage to get it to match a stock Victory.

People riding metric cruisers typically just want to ride a GOOD bike - not just A bike, and it's frequently not the only bike in their garage. As far as Harley guys owning a Harley because they care about the sport - totally disagree. They care about Harley and that's usually about it. They are not into motorcycling per se as much as they are into Harley.

Resale is a funny topic. Went to a Honda dealer last week and saw two used Harley's on the floor.

Someday I'll own a Harley Just so I can back over it with my SUV and light it on fire. :D :D

Originally posted by BLACK DEATH DSR
Most guys on Harleys think they are the CHIT, us stunters/riders tell them whats up and they think they are too good.

They are just looking at you the same way you look at the guy in the fart-canned, big winged Civic.

Originally posted by 1badTTA

Come on now, my Hayabusa still has a good resale value. Why are there so many Harleys for sale when years back they were so hard to get? Now you can get what ever Harley you want, they are plentifull and they are even for sale at garage sales. :eek: Just get what make you happy and what you can afford. The Vrod is too damn expensive. For the price you can buy a bad A$$ Ttype and a Hayabusa, thats what I did.