New motor with bottom end noise

If they assembled the bottom end, this is their problem, not yours. Probably would have been a good idea to give it an oil change after the first heat cycle. (not saying that caused it...)
I had my former engine toast a bearing in 49 miles, bent the crank etc. Lost prime while the car sat waiting for a tranny after I did an oil change. Oops.
Be tough with them, there is no way you should be on the hook for this IMO.

How did it lose prime? Something wrong with front cover?

they said all bearings looked fine. except one. it ate the bearing from oil starvation, and said the top of the bearing was shiny and looked as if detonation was present. I would think detonation like that would be extremely present on the tops of the pistons as well. Oh well we will see it once we have it back.

rod bearings get oil through the crank so if the rod bearing was starved so was the main unless something was blocking the feed in the crank. Follow the path from the pump and ask them how the bearing before the failed rod did not starve? I have seen bearings that we mushroomed from detonation but the pistons looked fine. I would suspect a rod resize or clearance problem but unless it is inspected it is tough to say. What your being told does not add up. Situations like this suck, sorry.
Mike

Ok, it may be time

J,

As everyone is telling you, you need to get on these guy a$$e$ like a hobo on a ham sandwich! They are feeding you a line of crap man. :mad: Hate to see a fellow turbobuick guy get burned... especially one that I personally know and from a so called "respected" machine shop.

Does this machine shop know that you are discussing your situation with the fine people here @ Turbobuick? If they did, maybe they would change their tune a little being as from my experience on this site, a lot of people utilize their services.

We are a tight knit family that sticks together. If someone burns one of us, all of us are quick to back that person up. In this case, this machine shop may loose a lot of business generated by word of mouth and this website. Just something to think about too.

Chris

Well, we went up there. All I can say is wow. Pics will be up later with more details. I feel this is a situation where **** happens, but the machine shop is acting very shady and seems to be with holding information. They told him that if they would have put the heads on and primed the motor then they would fix it for free. But since he did that part, no such luck. Then they tried charging him for tear down and inspection. Which we said no to and walked out with our parts. Last but not least they threatened j that if he bashed them they would post up with pictures and such claiming their not at fault. J responding back post up the pics I have nothing to hide. So don't be surprised if I get banned or this thread gets deleted. For all that wanted to know who took j's dollars and tried banging him for more it was Weber Racing as many of you had suspected.

$7k for a stock crank short block?

Weber has been around a long time and has a pretty solid reputation. They have been building Buick V6's since the beginning, I would sure like to hear what their story is before everyone starts whipping them under the bus.

There are two side to every story and so far we have only gotten one that doesn't make much sense, at least to me:confused:

Excuse me for the misprint j just corrected me 7k was not all thru them. That's why I took that out of my post. He said it was more along the lines of 5.5k or so

Excuse me for the misprint j just corrected me 7k was not all thru them. That's why I took that out of my post. He said it was more along the lines of 5.5k or so

No offense, but Stagemonster or J or whatever his name really is should be the one giving details and a description of what happened. It is after all his $$ and motor.

I would like to see the pics. Regardless of who did what and who is at fault, you still need to understand what happened and why so the same mistake isnt made twice.

I am with Chris, something does not make sense here especially the $7K considering this is on thier web site Stage I 3.8L Turbo Buick Short Block I am not sure what you could do to double the price from there. It would be nice to hear the other side.
Mike
I see there was a response since I started and the price is now down to 5.5K even then there is some question

Original Quote:
"Well, we went up there. All I can say is wow. Pics will be up later with more details. I feel this is a situation where **** happens, but the machine shop is acting very shady and seems to be with holding information."

Definitely sounds a little shady to me. I have been following this post since the beginning and it still makes no sense what they are saying. Changed the story like 4 times already.

Original Quote:
"They told him that if they would have put the heads on and primed the motor then they would fix it for free. But since he did that part, no such luck."

The assembly of the heads has absolutely nothing to do with the bottom end of the motor! In a previous post, J even stated that Weber said the the top end was built correctly! Now they are saying this?!? Come on... You know, these are the reasons why I build my own motors and have a machinist who is more anal that I am! Been dealing with my machinist for over 10 years now and his reputation precedes him in our area. 70% of the cars that run up @ Pittsburgh Raceway Park were either machined or machined and built by him. Thanks Joe! :smile:

Anyways, back on track. I think that we should hear what Weber has to say but from what I heard so far, doesnt seem like they have a leg to stand on.

Just hope that Jason gets this taken care of and doesnt have to go to extreme measures to do it.

Chris

And I just got off the phone with them considering to do my stage motor in two weeks-not too sure about that anymore. I wouldn't want to be treated like stagemonster is getting-I always thought they had a reputable reputation and stood behind their work-this doesn't sound like it. And it's atleast a 8 HR drive which I wouldn't want to make on a weekly basis-best of luck resolving this-they should have some kind on insurance to protect us from this!

For the record, I am not saying they are at fault. I just feel they were not standing behind their work and their name. And j was dealt with in a less than stellar manner. I will say there are a few turbo buicks at my shop along with some lsx motors that will probably be going elsewhere now.

Original Quote:
"Well, we went up there. All I can say is wow. Pics will be up later with more details. I feel this is a situation where **** happens, but the machine shop is acting very shady and seems to be with holding information."

Definitely sounds a little shady to me. I have been following this post since the beginning and it still makes no sense what they are saying. Changed the story like 4 times already.

Original Quote:
"They told him that if they would have put the heads on and primed the motor then they would fix it for free. But since he did that part, no such luck."

The assembly of the heads has absolutely nothing to do with the bottom end of the motor! In a previous post, J even stated that Weber said the the top end was built correctly! Now they are saying this?!? Come on... You know, these are the reasons why I build my own motors and have a machinist who is more anal that I am! Been dealing with my machinist for over 10 years now and his reputation precedes him in our area. 70% of the cars that run up @ Pittsburgh Raceway Park were either machined or machined and built by him. Thanks Joe! :smile:

Anyways, back on track. I think that we should hear what Weber has to say but from what I heard so far, doesnt seem like they have a leg to stand on.

Just hope that Jason gets this taken care of and doesnt have to go to extreme measures to do it.

Chris

(If they did say,) that if they had put the heads on + primed the pump then they would be fixing it free,but won't because they didn't,that would mean any short block you buy off of them is a, you bought it you own it,deal,whether it is done right or not.
we have only heard one side of the story so far, so it is too early to judge,but if the shop can't show that the buyer did something wrong to destroy a brand new motor,(That they just charged him $5000ish to build) in 38 miles,then i can't help but say they should be taking care of this, along with an apology for causing so much extra work,cost + stress. But again, we havn't heard their explanation yet either.

Need there story here.
Good point about buying the short block and putting your heads on yourself. Since when does assembly of your own motor void a warranty.

Wow

Well they are building my short block now, seem like good people. Ive been a machinist for 11 years and been around measuring instruments a time or two lol, so you better believe that i will be measuring everything. I mean everything.

well i hope my motor lasts with the long block and cam im in at around $8,000. would suck to have a void in my warranty because they just did the shortblock. i have to say that this is just plain bull$hit!!! they assembled the shortblock and front timing cover and sounds like they were in a hurry and f'd it up. nobody has a perfect track record but if i were weber i would make it right. one bearing isnt an oil level problem. sounds like thet left a booger in one of the passages of the ported cover or crank. or didnt torque that rod bearing down. i would also think a main would show wear before a rod. come on weber.

if there would be denotation in the bearin then the following would be shown....top of pistons would have chunks missing, the rod itself would be slightly bent or twisted from the denotation. So in order for the bearing to show it then other things would be noticed

Ive heard poor results from this company in the Ls world, now they are supposed to be a good end shop but ive read my share of misfortune of them on ls1tech.

what it sounds like is youre going to get boned there stagemonster

And I just got off the phone with them considering to do my stage motor in two weeks-not too sure about that anymore. I wouldn't want to be treated like stagemonster is getting-I always thought they had a reputable reputation and stood behind their work-this doesn't sound like it. And it's atleast a 8 HR drive which I wouldn't want to make on a weekly basis-best of luck resolving this-they should have some kind on insurance to protect us from this!

I'd take it to Bobby @ RPE !!!!! :cool: