New Motor Runs Terrible, Please HELP ME!!

turbo6leon

I have my new motor in the car & running but it's not right. It does, however, start right up & sit there running, billowing ton's of raw fuel and smoke. I've set & re-set the cam sensor at *least* a dozen times & nothing changes. It goes closed loop fairly quickly but the 02 mv's stay at .96 with no cross counts. IAC varies from 175 to zero but rpm's don't change with it. Fuel pressure is fine & I've tried 2 different chips. Injectors are used blue tops. It sets no codes here in the garage but it smokes waaaay to much to drive. Do I still have the cam sensor out of whack somehow? The injectors not functioning correctly?? I don't understand why the 02 is inactive. I've inhaled too many fumes & I'm going crazy. What's wrong with it?????

Thanks,
Lee Kline

I see you say your fuel pressure is fine but what is it?
Are you sure the cips you have are for blue top injectors?
Try installing your old injectors amd see what happens.
Check your injector wire going to your number one injector and make sure it has not been pinched or burnt by the EGT valve.
Hope this helps, Kip

Fuel pressure is 38-40#'s at idle w/237 regulator. Both chips, a Jim Testa & a Red Armstrong, are for the blues. The injector wiring appears to be fine. I'm trying to keep my original engine assembly complete here on a stand so I would likely buy new injectors before swapping the stockers in. I hope to be able to determine what the problem is without doing something so drastic.

Thanks,
Lee

swapping injectors is not drastic and would be very logical. If you did not have the blue tops flowed and cleaned, you don't know what is going on. It beats the ouija board method of analyzing problems.

If you have your "old" injectors, put them in and try. Sounds like one of the blue tops is stuck open. My policy is NEVER to install a used set of injectors when I do not personally know their history.

Chuck Leeper has found lots of bad ones for me, I have him check them first!

I'd also be very concerned about washing down the cylinder walls w/ gas & diluting your oil. Were you able to break the cam in properly?

I was afraid this was where I was at. Buying new injectors was what I meant by 'drastic'. I worked too hard rounding up the pieces for this "new" intake so that I could leave my stock stuff all together, undisturbed & functional. I'm hard headed this way:D I may be able to borrow some injectors to try but won't know till tomorrow night. Probably should just pull the blues, send em out for cleaning & wait it out rather than buying new. Thanks guys, I appreciate it!! Even hard-headed & set in my ways like I am :D

Lee

Greg, I've been concerned about washing the cylinders down too. Cam should be fine, it's a billet roller:D Not a sound coming from the valve train:D :D

Lee

Lee, send them priority mail to Chuck Leeper. If he is in not too cranky a mood, he will turn them around in one day and let you now what he finds!:D