New Member Synapsis

83hotbox

First Post: 83HotBox
So here’s my story. I Purchased a 1983 Buick Regal T-Type, RPO Y44 Décor Package, T-Tops.
I purchased the car, summer 2009, from an 18 year old immature kid whom at the time of sale couldn’t sign his name correctly, crossed it out before I could tell him “NO!” and signed it again. That instantly voided the TITLE. He never registered the car so the title was not in his name. It took me over 1 year to find the wife of the original owner in which the Title was registered (she was a doll) and finally received the Duplicate Title February 2011. I didn’t loose hope J
Now for the car. The odometer shows the car has 106k. I got the car not running and with most of the interior removed and stored in the trunk along with the smog pump, ac condenser, all hoses removed and the stock intake snorkel and bonnet.
I since got the car running, bought Danko Production fiberglass front and rear bumper fillers (not sure of how they will fit), recently rebuilt the carburetor with new fuel filter, plugs and wires. I read a lot on this and other web site along with hours of video on YouTube about the carburetor ….not LubeTube. J lol
My Plan… Asking for advice on best products to use and links as to where I can purchase these!:
Upgrade timing gears
Water pump
Fuel Pump
Lifters
Turbo rebuild kit
Front Floor pan
Radiator
Front end kit
GNX body mounts
Shocks
Brakes/Rotors
Exhaust

I can’t diagnose the sound 100% but some people say it’s rod knock, some people say it’s lifter tap? In my quest to obtaining a duplicate Title, I had a brief chance to speak with the original owner. He told me he had installed a crate block and that it should have only 5k so he doubts it’s the rods…..????
The car is from the Marion Connecticut area but is now in Hopewell Jct. NY
Anybody in the area who wouldn’t mind stopping by to give me advice is more than welcomed.
Kudos to B4B, TurboBuick and the members.
Thanks for reading. I will post pics as soon as i figure out how.

Sounds like a great project. I've been down that same road on the title with an 18 year old kid and an '85 El Camino. :)

That tapping noise might just be a cracked header. They can sounds exactly like a lifter tap. I'd start by checking on the driver's side. I replaced mine with a cast iron manifold from a 1979/80 V6.

DSC00790.JPGDSC00788.JPGDSC00793.JPGDSC00803.JPGDSC00802.JPG

Welcome to the Site! and a Nice looking Buick with a little more work and a good one start with.
I have to ruin your vibe but you did buy the car from an 18yo kid, so I'm going with a rod knocking is what you hear.
Most of everything you seek on your list can be purchased at your local parts store except the more crical items(turbo rebuild kit, timing set,etc)
Check the vendors here on the site, most have parts that only work on and are destined for the EFI engines, but still some parts fit all production v6 engines.
G pop shop can hook you up with a turbo rebuild at a decent price, Edelbrock and the vendors here have double roller timing sets.
Now are you just putting the car back to stock or are you wanting performance upgrades along the way?

G Pop (added to Favorite list)! I have an Acura Integra SCCA road race car for excitment and since there aren't many B4B Turbo's, I want the car stock and nice enough for the several a week car shows in my area. I want it to cruise around town.... As for the noise, 5k on short block, 18 year old irresponsible, immature kid, bald right rear tire, imo.....rod knocking at my door but I take any and all advice and will check exhaust manifold as aforementioned. Let me add that there was less noise by removing all drive belts but still had an audible knock/rattle at about 1500-2000 rpm.

If the knock sound is at a specific RPM then I'm going with Adam on it. Rod knock. Does it happen under load or free reving the engine? As far as a rebuild kit for the turbo, click on the general section and at the top there's the how to section. It has a good post on how to rebuild the torbo. It was done with an 86-87 turbo but they're the same except for the carbon seals. Pretty simple to do as well.

The floor pan can be bought from Brian at Gbody.com and he's a vendor on the board. He'll treat you right.

Are you looking to do some suspension upgrades or do you just want to go back to stock? The reason I ask is because you list lifters and on a flat tappet cam if you change the lifter you'll need to change the cam. They wear together and if you change even 1 lifter then you have a big chance of the cam lobe going flat.

For a radiator are you just looking for an aluninum one or just a stock replacememt for it? The reason I ask is because you can use one out of a late 80's F body car which should keep it cool. It's a little bigger but it's been done by quite a few members over the years and costs right around $100 at most parts stores. Same thing with the water pump. There's no special pump for it other than the RWD pump.

Welcome aboard.:D

And the best Web Site Recommendation award goes to CharlieF1 with "GBody.com"!!!! Nice Bodies :) lol
I am leaning more towards a stock look with suspension and set up.
I admit I am parts changer, not a mechannic. I was unaware the cam also had to be changed.
I really thought I just could change the lifters. Thanks for the advice.
The F Body radiator I am sure will keep a clean appearance. (On the List)

What you might try to find at the same time is the top plate off a V8 car for the radiator at the same time. Really doesn't matter whch G body it's off of. The ones off a V8 car are longer so it will support the radiator better and you can add an electric fan to it for cooling. Much cleaner look as well.:)