New lower control arms install...

veedubcrazy

Got the new LCA's from HRpartsandstuff and they look great. Got the bushings in and ready to put one LCA in and it turns out they are short. Or at least I think they are. Fitting one up it was tight in the foward bracket and the rear bracket had these two plates that were bolted on the bracket but were too narrow to fit the back part of the arm in. Taking the rear plate brackets brought the arm too far back to match the bolt holes. Then the bolts were too big for the holes.

WTH is going on here? Are these direct bolt-ins? Does the axle have to move forward or what???

I need help quick...!!!...:frown:

Just put a set in last weekend fit fine.
Measure the old ones center to center to make sure you ordered or got the right ones. They do make one 1/4 in longer.

Just measured the old ones to the new ones and the mount bolt holes are off by 1". I absolutely hate these types of set-backs. :mad:

Am I missing something or what? These plates that bolt in the rear mount, do they belong? The more I dwell on this the more pissed I get...

They should only be the same or 1/4 longer.

They have an option for stock type sway bar or not. That is all.

So now I gotta re-engineer the thing all over? Awsome!!! :mad: Taking the plates out move the mount holes back. And putting the tape measure to the old vs. new arms shows 1" difference. Even if the mount plates even were to work with the new arms, its too narrow a fit for the bushings in the new arms...

Now what???

Something is still screwy then. If the arms on your car are the stock ones, and your replacements are off by an inch, relocation brackets or not, those arms are wrong.

The new mount holes measure 19 1/4" center to center. The old LCA's measure 20 1/4". Here are the old ones...

Picture167.jpg

These are what came out. I don't think these are stock. Here is a shot of the rear mounts. You can see the plates...
Picture151.jpg

I am done for the evening...:mad:

Yeah those aren't the stock ones as far as I can tell, but they should still be about the same length. If you remove the brackets, do the OLD arms reach the original mounting holes? If so then they are the same length as stock, and it's still the new ones that are off.

19.25 c to c is the correct length. For stock.
Your rear has been moved back 1".

So you will have to bring your rear end in 1".

What do you have for uppers?

I'm glad our replacing those garbage control arms. Those are SouthSide Machine bars. Take the brackets off the rear end. Install the new bars and your done. The bushings will stick out of the sides of the new bars, thats normal. You may have to push the car backward some to get the rear end to slant upward a little, this will move your mounts on the rear end farther in. normal stuff, your not screwing anything up, your doingyourself a major favor by taking those junk piece of crap Southsides out!;)

19.25 c to c is the correct length. For stock.
Your rear has been moved back 1".

So you will have to bring your rear end in 1".

What do you have for uppers?

Stock arms, at least thats what they look like to me. The TR has been on jack stands for 4 weeks now so maybe the driver side rear shifted while up. I did remove the LCA on that side and all thats keeping it there were the springs...Just a thought for a new day...

Okay, looking back I might have been over-the-top upset as it was a very trying day.

I did go back and re-read the instructions that were provided and this is what it says. More specifically, #11...

"Raise the other end of the arm into place, and install the bolt/washer on the rearend housing bracket, leave bolt loose. The rearend housing may need to be safely pushed to the rear or pulled to the front to line up bolt hole".

Okay, that makes sense. I fault the PO, not my father-in-law, for the mods made. This TR is showing itself more and more as time goes by.

I will take pics of the upper arms as I get time.

Yes those are Southside Machine bars. They're longer to change the pinion angle. They're very effective at creating down foce on the rear tires and controling wheel hop. The problem is they can't twist when the rear end articulates. This beats up and breaks the frame mounts they bolt to. Remove the brackets and your new bars will bolt up. The new bars will do nothing to create downforce and will move your pinion angle back to the stock angle and that is a shame.

OK, I see the old rusty, ugly ones. Where's some pics of the new ones?! Don't leave us hanging bro.

So, I guess I will toss the old LCA's into the trash. I will have to move the axle forward by an inch to make up for the gap needed. Never thought this job would be so time consuming...

Will the drive shaft accomodate the move forward? I hope so... I'd hate to think that will open up another can of worms...Yikes...

OK, I see the old rusty, ugly ones. Where's some pics of the new ones?! Don't leave us hanging bro.

Hang on, stringbean. I am at work and I had to lend my wife the digi-cam for a school function. I will take some tonite comparing the old vs. the new. I really like HR LCA's. I am really looking forward to having them installed....