new laptop

denn454

turbo swimmer
hey, its been a while since i've shown my face around here...

anyways i'm looking to get a new laptop with the tax return i'm getting (but the irs stold an extra $500 from me, long story...) so unfortunatly i'm not looking for anything real nice any more.

i'm debating between a few different ones,

the hp lance armstrong edition. its a few bucks more to have the yellow trim and what not, but it does go to a good cause so its worth it to me. but it might be gone by the time i actually get my full refund (cheap irs bastards) so another hp would surfice.

the ibm/leneovo whatever z series. it has the virus recovery button, the finger print readed, magnesium frame, hard drive protector thing.

and an apple ibook (12") its light, and doesn't run windows. also has a magnisum frame, a hard drive protection thing that protects it from a fall. i probably won't be able to get it before they go to the intel chip in it.

price wise, everything is within a hundred bucks of eachother, the specs are all pretty close. all i'm really needing is something to write papers on, mess around on the internet a little with, and play a flight sim on occasion. the mac os isn't a problem for me, i don't need to load a ton of programs in, everything i'm going to be using is avaliable for the mac so no worries there

anyone have any experiences with any of these, or any other suggestions? i'm open to anything but a dell or comapq.

I wouldn't suggest an HP. Just about every HP that I have seen has had nothing but troubles, not to mention their crappy tech support. I would suggest IBM, Dell, and Sony for laptops. From what I have read a lot of people really like the Dell laptops especially for the price. If you look around and just wait a little bit Dell normally runs big sales on their computers every couple of months.

look at the IBM / Lenovo's on Overstock.com

I and a friend both bought T series 'puters, they are re-furbed, but look great.

Excellent value for the bux.

B

72firebird said:
I wouldn't suggest an HP. Just about every HP that I have seen has had nothing but troubles, not to mention their crappy tech support. I would suggest IBM, Dell, and Sony for laptops. From what I have read a lot of people really like the Dell laptops especially for the price. If you look around and just wait a little bit Dell normally runs big sales on their computers every couple of months.

I will agree fully on HP/Compaqs. They really suck. Ive had 3 compaq desktops and a HP notebook and all of them have blown up in less than a year. The last to die on me was my HP. Now im using a dell machine...and when im in the position to buy a notebook it will be a dell. Their warranty service is awesome. Customer support is also great.

My aunt bought an Alienware Notebook. It cost around $3000. She had the warranty on it and all. She has 4 kids all of which are young. Within the first week one of the kids spilled cereal on it. Alienware basically told her to shove it. So we gave Dell a call. They said that we could tape us blowing up the computer and then send some of the pieces of the computer along with the tape in and they would replace the computer. In my eyes thats an awesome warranty. You actually get what you paid for.

i have had a compaq laptop and it has been nothing but a nightmare, horrible craftmanship, the touch pad works when it feels like it, the button will tripple click when you press it once, if it clicks at all. after it was sent back i was told it just needed to be cleaned, when i got it back it was much worse. the wireless internet goes out, it will show excelent siginal but not do anything, just really a worthless piece. i've heard good things about hp's but it is the same as a compaq so i'm a little lerry on it.

from my 2 friends with dells i've heard probably 4-5 problems with each, maybe i saw two lemons, who knows but i'd be really reluctant to buy one of them.

i'm really leaninig to the apple, i've had great luck with their computers i've used at school, it takes some getting used to but its 1,000x easier and i have yet to have one jam up, crash, or give me any problem what so ever. thats always a plus. keep the thoughts comming, and thanks for the ones i've gotten so far

denn454 said:
hey, its been a while since i've shown my face around here...

anyways i'm looking to get a new laptop with the tax return i'm getting (but the irs stold an extra $500 from me, long story...) so unfortunatly i'm not looking for anything real nice any more.

i'm debating between a few different ones,

the hp lance armstrong edition. its a few bucks more to have the yellow trim and what not, but it does go to a good cause so its worth it to me. but it might be gone by the time i actually get my full refund (cheap irs bastards) so another hp would surfice.

the ibm/leneovo whatever z series. it has the virus recovery button, the finger print readed, magnesium frame, hard drive protector thing.

and an apple ibook (12") its light, and doesn't run windows. also has a magnisum frame, a hard drive protection thing that protects it from a fall. i probably won't be able to get it before they go to the intel chip in it.

price wise, everything is within a hundred bucks of eachother, the specs are all pretty close. all i'm really needing is something to write papers on, mess around on the internet a little with, and play a flight sim on occasion. the mac os isn't a problem for me, i don't need to load a ton of programs in, everything i'm going to be using is avaliable for the mac so no worries there

anyone have any experiences with any of these, or any other suggestions? i'm open to anything but a dell or comapq.

IBM is the way to go i service ibm dell hp compaq never have that many issues with ibm when they break i get the parts next day hp comaq i week or two later always problems dell ok little better the hp compaq alsoOn February 23, Lenovo is launching the Lenovo 3000 line, beginning with the J Series desktops and C series notebook PCs. Lenovo 3000 desktop and notebook PCs are for small businesses that want to focus on running their business, not their computers so no more IBM name LENOVO !! the best that i would Recommend is the T42 or T43 OR Z60t or i can custom bulid you a IBM T42
lot of my cutomers love T42 let me know

denn454 said:
i'm really leaninig to the apple...

I'd second that notion. I have a 14" iBook that I bought awhile ago and I love it. But then again, I'm an Apple nut. Make sure to check out their deals on refurbished models on the website. Usually 15%-20% off list and all hand inspected before they leave the factory.