new ignition module and coil pack install

gnx158

Just installed new GM coil pack and ign module. Only reason I did this is because tach wasn't working. After install car does not start and cranks fast then slow, . Put old stuff back on and car fires right back up like new, but no tach. Am I missing something here.

it would not be the first time new parts have been purchased,installed and did not work.:(

Did your tach ever work? if it has never worked make sure it is hooked up, the wire is on the driver side.....I think it's white wire with a green spade cover should be located just behind the A/C compressor.....could be wrong on that I would have to go pop the hood and look. Or maybe its in the gauge itself.....

Ignition module

Ok went back and tried old module with new coil pack fires right up. Has to be with the new gm module. The tach bounces around between 1000-1500 rpm no more done this since i bought the car. Didn't work when got the car but reading all the tach issues with the gnx's seemed that feed from the module could've been the first solution because the car has an aftermarket module and coil pack.

Recently replaced a wells brand module with ac delco. The motor did not want to start. By the way it was cranking (like you described) the cam sensor was out of adjustment. Moved the cam sensor slightly clockwise and she started right up.

There is something about the aftermarket modules that must throw timing off. I can't give a solid explanation. I just know what it took to fix. ;)

Not to mention the tach, you will see a big improvement once the ac delco unit is on. Specially wot.

RL

some of the aftermarket ignition modules do not have an external tach signal, wich is necessary for aftermarket tachs and caspers tester to work.

Thanks for advice Turbo BuRick . Went and tested module today and it was fine. Come home found your message ,put car back toghether and turned sensor just a touch and the car fired right up. Still the tach is not hardly reading that'll give me something to fix this winter.. Appreciate the help guys..

Glad to help.

Wonder whats up with the tach. May check the connections on the gauge itself.

RL

There are two plugs behind the alternator. One is green and the other is white. Make sure those are not plugged into each other. They fit together but are not supposed to be plugged in. One is a test lead for the tach the other is for the fuel pump. When plugged into each other, the tach don't work. Worth a try.

Recently replaced a wells brand module with ac delco.
20.creation.jpg

Yep it's a GNX tach. Wires under hood are not connected checked that before I went and bought new module. From some of the posts in the GNX forum tach might need a little help. Thank you guys and I'll keep working on her.

Update on the tach, pulled it out and adjusted the screw on backside ???? turned it till rpm's matched scanmaster. Huh, now it works fine. Looks as if someone had played with it before, and didn,t have the patience or finesse to gently adjust it while running. Thanks again turboburick.