new heads and roller setup questions!!

85 conversion

the 9's are in my reach!
ive just installed gn1 8 bolt heads an a comp cams hyd roller cam k kit.I know your gonna laugh but im also using stock rockers. Would anyone know what length pushrod to use.I know most will say "get a pushrod checker" but i just wanted to try on here first to see if anyone else ran this set up and already knows what size i would need. any help would be greatly appreciated thank you guys!!!!

I've got exactly the same set-up as you do, except I am using stock ported heads. Using the 206 roller and stock rockers. You can get correct length pushrods from Comp (mine were 8.2"). I made a checker pushrod from one of the old adjustable pushrods that were in my previous engine. If your preload is too tight, you have to shim the rocker shafts to correct it. Had to add .010 to get mine set at .030 preload. Even set correctly the lifters will click. Sounds like a sewing machine, just like everyone says.

John

Measure for the correct length and just do it right the first time.

Too many variables involved to narrow it down to a common length pushrod.
With a non-adjustable valvetrain, pushrod length is absolutely critical.

Measure for the correct length and just do it right the first time.

Too many variables involved to narrow it down to a common length pushrod.
With a non-adjustable valvetrain, pushrod length is absolutely critical.

What he said. The difference between a .060 HG and a .040 HG can affect the overall length as can If the heads have been cut, if the blocked has been cut any to get it flat and tons of other factors. These are all variables that will affect the length. Get a pushrod checker and order the correct length once or get adjustable rockers.

hth

Sully

What he said. The difference between a .060 HG and a .040 HG can affect the overall length as can If the heads have been cut, if the blocked has been cut any to get it flat and tons of other factors. These are all variables that will affect the length. Get a pushrod checker and order the correct length once or get adjustable rockers.

hth

Sully

And to add...

That doesn't even take into account proper/improper machine shop practices in correctly setting valve installed heights.

Resurface the heads and do a valvejob without cutting the tips of the valvestems, and see what happens... :cool:

I sometimes wonder if this isn't partially to blame for all the wiped cam stories...