New guy St Louis area

ArnoldSTL

I have just inherited a '80 Regal Limited from my late father, this is a car that he had acquired about 8 years ago as a gift. My father was generally more interested in Monte's (specifically a '70) but this Regal really seemed to ignite something in him and he was excited about the project he had before him. He had begun recently to research rebuilding this car as a period correct T-Type or even a Grand National, unfortunately the good lord had other plans and now I've acquired the car and am in the process of trying to get it shipped home from California.

I realize this particular car is not equipped with a turbo, but his dream was to overhaul this car and rebuild as a GN or T-Type and I would like to honor his wishes.
This leads me to several questions...

1. What specifically would be required for the stock V6 to accept a turbo?
2. What am I looking at as far as transmission upgrades? The current transmission needs to likely be replaced anyway.
3. I would like for this car to appear as stock as possible, how likely am I to find any necessary interior/exterior additions (gauges, badges)?
4. What kind of exhaust upgrades would be recommended?
5. As a generally mechanically sound individual yet amature mechanic how much of a conversion will I truthfully be able to handle on my own?
6. In addition to this site are there other solid resources for rebuilding this car?

I am also anticipating adding a correct deck lid spoiler, hood, and to paint this car black (currently white). It currently rides on new BFG white letter tires and the chrome/black rally wheels (which I would like to keep). Also, this past summer new suspension, brakes, and steering parts were added as well as a new aluminum radiator.

And no, I will not lift it or put huge rims on it or any other rediculous thing, I actually appreciate this beautiful car!

Thanks in advance,
ArnoldSTL

That is definitely an uphill battle. Your best bet might be to find a donor turbo regal to start the parts swap over. http://www.gnttype.org/ is a good place to start looking at the basics on a LC2 engine.

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured that's what I would have been told. I didn't realize how many intricacies were involved in the turbo charged engines. Sounds like a long expensive road ahead.
Having just watched the Black Air documentary, does Richard Clark sell built engines and transmissions?

First off, Welcome to the site. We are very passionate about these Turbo Buicks. However, we ain't gunna sugar coat the fact that you've got a long up hill battle, trying to turn a NA Regal, into a GN clone. IMO, you could almost buy two 87 GNs for the price of buying all the parts it would take to build a nice clone. The clone will never be worth what a GN would fetch.

Here's my 2 cents: Part out the old Regal in the for sale section. They are worth more as parts, than they are as a whole. If you play your cards right, you'll get more than you think. "Invest" in a nice condition Turbo Buick. Don't get too much of a fixer upper. It will nickel and dime you to death. Just like the one you have now will do. Drive the heck out of it. Each time thinking of your dad. You will now have a car that will put a smile on your face for the rest of your life, While going up in value. I'll bet your old man would smile at that.;)

Maybe, keep a few parts off the old car to put on the new one. (shifter handle, etc)

Once again. Welcome to the site. Post back here and let us know what you do.

Mike Barnard