New guy needs info (very long)

HokeySon

Hello, I recently joined this forum and am the person who bought that old boat with the Buick V6 turbo motor in it that was on EBAY that some of you probably saw (ultimately I want to put it in a dune buggy, but want to use it in the boat for the summer). Now, I need some help if anyone is willing. I have checked out many of the sites listed in links here and B4Black’s site, so I know more than I did before, but still need to learn some stuff. First I don’t really know what motor I have other than B4Black. The person who put this in the boat did a fairly good job, but like all afterbirth engineering some of it is confusing -- that leads me to two things I need help with right away. First, the motor does not have a waste gate actuator -- where can I get one and does anyone have a picture of where it mounts? Second, I went to get basic tune up parts for the thing and could not come up with a distributor cap, the one on the motor is a gm HEI unit, but it looks like an 8 cylinder cap without two of the posts (the bosses are there but not the metal nib) and the ring around the cap into which fit the wire caps fit is set up for those locations on the cap (IE it has eight holes). When I went to the parts store -- they did not have one like that. I checked the books myself (used to be a parts guy) and looked under all the late 70’s turbo motors. All the referenced caps looked like regular six cylinder caps. I checked the inside of both to see if they really had the some contact points and they were not even close -- Can anyone help me out of this hole? Thanks. (sorry so long)

Reply to Help!

Only thing I can tell you is you have the older 231 V-6 "odd" fire. This engine used the 8 tower cap and disabled 2 to run!

That's an odd-fire cap, but there were no factory odd-fire turbo V6's, so something's amiss. Either someone added a turbo to an odd-fire, or you might have the wrong cap on an even-fire (it will still run, but poorly).

The first step will to to detemine if you have an odd-fire engine or not. Is there a casting number on the block? (Maybe where the bellhousing mounts.)

Also, find a casting number on the intake. It will be important to know what year the turbo set up is.

A book called V-6 Performance by Pat Ganahl will be very helpful for your situation. Most big bookstores carry it (or ebay).

thanks

I was afraid that would be the case. Unfortunately I won't be able to check numbers for two weeks (boat is at the river 3 hours away). I will check them then.

Back to the actuator though -- I need one -- Can anyone point me in the direction of getting one? Can I go to Turbo City and get some sort of a universal actuator? Do I need to go junkyard shopping? thanks in advance.

Finding a Turbo V6 in the junkyard would be tough. I would check for a local turbo shop (more common than you think because of semi tractors) or call a nationwide turbo rebuilder (PT&E, Limit, Turbonetics, etc). It's a Garrett turbo.