New GN owner...

KauaiGn

Hey guys my name is Kai. I recently purchased an 85 buick GN. I quickly realized there wasn't much aftermarket support for the first gens. Why is that? And I'm new to Gnʻs, Are The engines between 84,85 and 86,87 very different? Besides the turbo location and non intercooler? Thank you in advance for your time.

damn near night and day. the 84~85s take a lot of work (and money) to get them to 86~87 performance.

and that's assuming the 86~87 hasn't been breathed on too.

One big reason there is so little aftermarket support for the 84-85 (referred to commonly on here as "Hot Airs") is that comparatively GM produced far less of them than the 86-87's.
They are cool cars and respond well to alcohol injection, if yours is in good shape no reason to do a lot of changing things. I say if all mechanically is well a chip, injectors, exhaust and alcohol injection and you would have a pretty respectable street car. Turbo selection is pretty limited though...

Thanks for the replys. Yea I should have done my homework first but I got it for on 2000$ so I figure it's ok. Body and interior are in good shape. The engine and engine bay could use some love.

What about intercooling the engine would that help too?

Thanks again!!

chemical intercooling with alky is the easiest route. If you have access to E85, even better.

I can't say what an intercooler 'kit' for a hotair cost, but I know it isn't cheap.