New GN Owner with 87 in need of rebuild

The oil squirters sound really expensive, but this car did have a spun bearing that caused all this in the first place...
Oil squirters are for cooling the bottom of the pistons and I haven't heard of anyone using or installing them on turbo buick motor builds . Sounds like your builder doesn't do a lot of turbo buick motors . This is from a thread back in May '11 , reply is from turbofabricator .

"Just machine a small notch in the big end of the rod to spray oil straight up into the bottom of the piston. It can be done with a small cut off wheel, or even a thin saw blade. It is also possible to drill a small hole in the top of the rod and match drill the bearing. Unless you are running endurance, I don't see a huge gain. The oiling system is pretty taxed as it is."

Last edited:
Way too much money for what you are getting !!!

You will be better off and money ahead shipping it to a known builder

Bryan

Hmm, ok. I am always open to better/less expensive engine builds.

Where is a good list of engine builders for this car?

Or would it be easier to just ask folks to post a few names/emails/phone numbers for builders they trust here?

I really want to get this car running. But I just don't have much cash to put into it.

Since it's all stock and in great shape, I am hoping to get the car running as quick and cheaply as possible (without screwing myself over for far future upgrades)

Since you will shipping it out you have several choices.

Richard Clark in Burlington NC
336-684-3653
I truly believe that this would be the most cost effective solution.
You will need to contact him for a time frame to see if it would fit into your schedule. He is extremely knowledgeable and a no BS kind of person and 100% honest.

There are others that can build what you need and may meet your time frame requirements better, this is just my thoughts. I don't think you will find another person that has done more for our community or has a bigger passion for our cars than Richard.

Bryan

Lou Czarnota in the Irvine, CA area.

Nick Micale in Phoenix, AZ.

Being that you are in Colorado, you won't find two more capable, dedicated and knowledgeable Turbo Buick guys in the Western United States, period. Between them they have forgotten more about Turbo Buicks than most will ever know, but don't worry, they still remember all of what it takes to do it right! :)

Lou built my car.

Since I'm in Phoenix, if I don't need to haul it out to CA to see Lou, Nick is my "go to" guy.

You can't go wrong with using either one.

You need to go see Nick Micale since you are so close to him.

$4000 for a stock rebuild is high using ALL stock parts. Hell for that money I can rebuild and put it in.

If you are a newbie to Buicks, have Nick intstall the motor. It will save you a bunch of time and sooner or later your time is money.

If you have all the pieces right now, why not just assemble them yourself? Or at least mock it up to check clearances. I'm in the Denver area, if you need anything give me a shout. You can't go wrong sending it to Nick Micale either.