New GN Owner needs help in Tulsa

Aaron's GN

I just purchased a 1987 Grand National with around 92,000 miles. I've read the thread about what new Turbo Buick owners should do first but I think my motor has more serious issues. For starters it leaks oil everywhere but mainly out of the breather on the right side valve cover, turbo oil drain line, and back right side of the head (could be valve cover). It loads up and cuts out anytime you try give it more gas than half throttle. It has a Delta 88 computer in it from 1985? Not sure if they can be reprogrammed? See attached pics. If there are any Turbo Buick owners in Tulsa that would like to help, PM me.
2014-05-04 13.12.00.jpg
2014-05-04 13.14.38.jpg

The label says 1227148 if that's also the number on the ECM it's the right one. The left breather can be upgraded with a K&N new breather and a plug on the turbo.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yep the number on the other side of the ECM matches the tag. The breather on the passenger side has already been upgraded to a K&N... it is completely saturated in oil. My car is also an astroroof. Thanks for your help.

Your pcv could be allowing boost to back up into the block and pushing oil anywhere it can. Good practice to put a new GM pcv and a check valve in the line.

Scan master is ordered. I'll see if the local dealership has a pcv valve. Thanks for your help.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Let us know how you make out, lot's of talent on here willing to help.

Chuck

Here is what I have found since I last posted.

The car has a Hot wire kit for the fuel pump.
Kenne Bell Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (reads 42lbs at idle with the vacuum hose off, 36lbs with it on)
RJC aftermarket PCV Valve
I bought a chip from Turbo Tweak for 91 octane fuel since that is all I can find around here
It has a two piece 3" aftermarket down pipe
I added the Scanmaster and PowerLogger
Installed a new alternator due to a bad bearing
installed a new red top optima battery (old one tested bad and I had to jump start the car every time I wanted to drive it)
Everything else appears to be stock. Except maybe the Turbo... Just left the car show at Fuddruckers in Tulsa and looked at two 87 GN's and both of their turbos say Garrett, mine does not.

I'm going to put a new High Output Coil Pack, Plugs, and Wires on as soon as they show up (ordered from G-Body).
I've also got a new fuel filter to install this weekend and have ordered the Casper's FieldFix ALTERNATOR PLUG-IN.
I will also be doing a battery draw down test this weekend.

Maybe someone can tell me what's wrong by taking a look at the power logger file. For some reason the boost is not reading in the power logger. The aftermarket gauge and dash gauge never go above 15lbs. when under boost. The car is only making about 12 volts even with the new battery and alternator.

I appreciate all of your help.

Attachments

• i44.dat
    225 KB · Views: 39