New Factory Appearing Class poll

What should this class be?

• Pure stock no mods at all.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Factory Appearing with limited mods.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • A tightly regulated bolt on class that retains a factory appearence.

Votes: 26 57.8%

• Total voters
Thank you Jim for taking the time to try & put something together!

If the major components & chassis remain stock it will limit a lot of silliness & allow the average Joe to compete. Strokers, CNC heads, transbrakes, monster injectors etc.... really wont be needed if breathing through STOCK turbo, inlet bell, manifolds, intercooler, throttle body, air cleaner, downpipe & hooking on a true street radial.

With this era of car reaching 20 years old they deserve an arena to strut there stuff in STOCK form. I would love to see a F.I. F.A.S.T. Class somewhere with Turbo Buicks going head to head with the other musclecars.

Somebody tried the STOCK class this year. How many cars were in that class? I havent heard much about it.

A totally "Stock" class is stupid. It would be too limiting and nobody would enter.

A "Stock Appearing" class, would be much better in the Spirit of the FAST class.

Stock intercooler (no big neck), stock Turbo elbow, Stock appearing MAF, Stock appearing motor, with all stock manifolds, TA turbo with Factory cast inlet bell, 3600 lb min weight.

Sure there will be people that build an all out race motor, but they will still have to breathe through a Stock intercooler/Turbo elbow, which gets increasingly harder after 11.50's.

If the rules stay consistent, it will build a following.

Make it a DOT tire only class and if the cars get too fast, make it a no Drag radial or street slick class.

Pro Tree starts of course to make it fun.

A totally "Stock" class is stupid. It would be too limiting and nobody would enter.

A "Stock Appearing" class, would be much better in the Spirit of the FAST class.

Stock intercooler (no big neck), stock Turbo elbow, Stock appearing MAF, Stock appearing motor, with all stock manifolds, TA turbo with Factory cast inlet bell, 3600 lb min weight.

Sure there will be people that build an all out race motor, but they will still have to breathe through a Stock intercooler/Turbo elbow, which gets increasingly harder after 11.50's.

Make it a DOT tire only class and if the cars get too fast, make it a no Drag radial or street slick class.

I agree. Only I'd want some traction so leave it DOT tire. No sense in busting trannys. To me stock appearing means low/no bucks. I'd also check into what the legit shipping weights were. I'd have a tough time meeting 3600 pounds with my skinny butt and a full tank of gas in my GN. I'll be damned if I'm going to add weight just to meet minimun. Not all TR's are created equally. And what are you going to do when the class reaches mid 11's? Mandate roll bars and other required safety equipment? If it was me I'd throw out the weight requirement as long as the stock body parts and AC was mandatory.

I agree with everything except the no drag radial or slick part. I think either one or both should be allowed.

I like the way your thinking :)

I'd say take some hints from the FAST rules and run with it

Year One Discussion Forum: 2006 F.A.S.T.Rules & Race Format

Or how about a FAST type class for Skylark, Gran Sport, GSX, GSX Stage 1, Wildcat, Wildcat GS, Grand National, T-Type/Turbo-T, GNX, and Turbo Trans Am to compete against each other. I'd let the Riviera, Riviera GS, and the turbo Riviera's to run if someone chose to, even though I dont see the front wheel drive being competitive that doesnt mean they shouldnt be allowed to run.

Just my 2 cents

Steve

Jay - the class didn't happen.

As for the new proposed class, I think it should be on true radials. None of our cars came on with drag radials or slicks. By running true / real radials your over all combination will have to work. Not just the guy than can buy the biggest and best stock appearing parts. I've seen cars running low 11's and high 10's on a real radial tire. So, it can be done.

Craig

The guys with the "REAL" musclecars seem to be getting down the track on tiny, ancient tires? Why do we really need notched framerails & slicks? A drag radial that fits on the stock wheel should be about as crazy as it gets for this class.

This is only good if you could not run a roll bar and be NHRA lecal no faster than 11.50. If not you will have people running 10's RE Jane Armstrong's Car

This is only good if you could not run a roll bar and be NHRA lecal no faster than 11.50. If not you will have people running 10's RE Jane Armstrong's Car

That's where the stock elbow and stock neck intercooler come into play.

Not too many people will be running faster than mid 11's with these, especially if a stock turbo is required.

Make it a DOT tire no drag radials and no faster than 11.50's because you need a roll cage. Other than that it will be another 10 second class trailered car class. Make you have to drive it to the event. Like the old days.

I spoke to a guy in Bowling Green last week who was building a car for a new F.A.S.T EFI class. He said the class was open to all EFI vehicles 1984 and newer, and the expectation was that 5.0 Mustangs, supercharged Cobras, turbo Regals and LS1's would make up the majority of the entries.
He was having a way-large wheel stuffed into a stock turbo housing, and in accordance with the rules he planned to run production heads (ported) and block (stroked), with a roller camshaft.
He said drag radials were not allowed, and that each car would have an allowable maximum tire size.
He said the first race was scheduled for later this summer at an Ohio track. A few less beers and I might have remembered more of the details.

Sounds interesting...