new engine , low oil pressure at idle ??

turbo john FL

ITS ONLY A SIX SHOOTER
hey guys just fired up this new motor , everything is new crank , rods, pistons , cam , lifters, roller rockers etc as the car warms up sitting in driveway i have about 10 pounds of oil pressure at idle . old engine held like 20 at idle . should i be worried about this im going to contact builder this week and see what he says but wanted some ideas about this ahead of time so i dont get a line crap for an answer from builder :) thanks guys in advance JOHN

HAD A BUILDER DO THE SHORT BLOCK I PUT HEADS ON ETC SO I PUT 10 40 IN IT TO START OUT ITS A ROLLER MOTOR SO NOW CAM BREAK IN

My builder told me to run 20/50 Valvoline Racing an nothing else. I have cold start-up of 65-70psi,an a at temp (160*)ideling 45-50. I'm stroked roller.Newish too

My builder told me to run 20/50 Valvoline Racing an nothing else. I have cold start-up of 65-70psi,an a at temp (160*)ideling 45-50. I'm stroked roller.Newish too

And if your running 20-50 you better be using a premium filter. Cheap filter restrict flow. The thicker the oil the harder it is to pass through the filter element.

And if your running 20-50 you better be using a premium filter. Cheap filter restrict flow. The thicker the oil the harder it is to pass through the filter element.

RJC racing biggie filter kit an oil cooler, My builder also said use only K&N oil filter (they bought out Moblie1, i heard)

HAD A BUILDER DO THE SHORT BLOCK I PUT HEADS ON ETC SO I PUT 10 40 IN IT TO START OUT ITS A ROLLER MOTOR SO NOW CAM BREAK IN

Type of Oil,an the Engine Temp at the time of the reading helps.is there a cooler on this build? might be lower on oil then you think with it filling.

I would not use K&N oil filters nor would I encourage anyone either. I had a filter that did not let any pressure through and made my engine start knocking. I installed the filter the way I install all my filters with as much oil in it before I install it. I ended up installing a Wix filter and pressure came back and worked with no problem with around 25 psi at idle.

I ended up contacting K&N and they insisted I had installed the oil filter wrong and that they will need to test my filter. After their so called test they're conclusion was that the filter had no issues and that it was because of a faulty install. Can't believe a company as big as they are did not stand behind there product. Since then I only use Wix and have not had an issues ever again.

seems once the temp comes up im barley at 10 psi now this is still with 10 40 i put in for initial start up and some break in lube for the roller rockers as per t&d kinda worried about on a hot day in florida if it will hold pressure at idle ?? should i go to 20 / 50 weight oil ? and what id the best filters to run have been using a fram 3980 ??

I had a Fram filter internally crush, blew the o ring out and spit oil down the side of my car. Wix only for me. Valvoling VR1 20/50 70 psi cold, 35 psi hot.

Bryan

turbo john FL said:
hey guys just fired up this new motor , everything is new crank , rods, pistons , cam , lifters, roller rockers etc as the car warms up sitting in driveway i have about 10 pounds of oil pressure at idle . old engine held like 20 at idle . should i be worried about this im going to contact builder this week and see what he says but wanted some ideas about this ahead of time so i dont get a line crap for an answer from builder :) thanks guys in advance JOHN

I agree with TurboBuRick. GM standards, and even in modern day LSX oil pressure is 10# for every 1000rpms. So at idle you are far within standards. Now you can call TA Performane and order their blueprinted timing cover and oil pump. This will increase your oil pressure. Or run Valvoline 50w in the warm weather. This will help increase you pressure!

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

Make sure your temp. guage shows under 200 (I'm sure you have a 160 - 190 stat). When my fan sensor went south my fans weren't coming on and the temp went up to 210-220. Caused my oil pressure to decrease.

Fram filters are among the worst you could buy.

Good filter choices IMO are
Moroso
Mobile 1
Wix