New ECM Ends

buickturboman

After installing new: EGR Sensor, MAF, Plugs, Wires. Coil Pack, fresh gas, computer and chip swap, throttle body sprayed out, I am still having a problem with the car stalling at idle, hesitating when not stalling. When it is idling, I noticed when it did idle and I moved the computer, it started to break up and run rough a bit so obviously I have a problem here. I assume after time and removing the computer, replacing chips this was to be expected. Now is the cause of everything going on, not sure yet but I wanted to ask if you guys think I should drop $45 and buy the new ECM plus with the 6" soldier tinned wires Postin sells and go wire by wire and cut and soldier a new plug using shrink tube afterwards?
I got an insulated ECM cable for my Direct Scan but that isn't even coding any problems. I think I figured out why is was coding a lot of strange stuff all at once at times which I believe it was my computer interface cable (not ribbon cable) was pinched sharply and when I straightened it out, these trouble codes disappeared.
Anyway- please advise me on this ECM plug replacement if you giys had similiar probs and if you replaced it successfully....advice.
I am not Joe mechanic here and know nothing about these DFI I guess they are called. If someone had the bucks to buy the Fast engine control system, would it eliminate all the stock computer and eliminate this wire harness problem I am having?

Attachments

• Action_J_Wheelie.jpg
    Action_J_Wheelie.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 233
  • austin 033.jpg
    austin 033.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 249
  • austin 032.jpg
    austin 032.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 248
I have been fighting the exact same problem. My ECM got wet and seriously corroded. I have tryed all kinds of things to try and clean up the connections but no luck:( . I have some new ends from casper electronics on the way. I should be putting them on next week or whenever I get them. Ill let you know how they work out ;) .

Ya know, I started replacing basic things that were getting old stuff which I previously listed which I don't mind, but man after all this new stuff and the beast still ain't running right, I am starting to get really pissed. The nice weather is coming and I want to get this cruiser and bruiser back on the road and now and all it can do it cough and choke. When I put it in the garage 2 yrs ago, it was running strong, although my computer wires started making me a bit suspicious. The check engine light would come on every now and then, I drained down the computer then all was well again. Who knows? I need to do the same as you man.Hopefully we will get replies from others who have done this before.

Welcome to Poston Buick !

Sorry i never got back to you. I got the ends from caspers and spliced them together it went pretty good. A couple of the colors were off. Purple is now pink. Make sure if you do it to mark where the repeat colors are supposed to go. I think there is like 3 dark blues on the one side. I put mine on and everything was back to normal. Let me know if you need any other info.:biggrin:

Thanks for this. I need to pull my car out in she sunlight and take a good look at things. My car is stalling now at start. It seems like moving the computer while running is causing changes to happen and sputters then dies. I know the harness has this plastic comb like wire hold that i may need to play with but I may need to do a replacement as you did. I see Postin Buick has a replacement for $45 so that seems like a decent price. I think this is a part of the problem and can only hope it is all of the problem once I get things fixed or changed because I want the wheels to start spinning again now the nice weather is here. Thanks for the advice man!!

From what it sounds like you have the same exact problem I had. I had all the same problems that your having right now.I would just replace the ends if i were you. It only takes about an hour or 2 to do it.

If you are good with connectors you can unpin each individual terminal from the connector, strip it, crimp a new end on and reinsert it into the original connector using a very liberal amount of dielectric grease. I have done this successfully, no spliced wires, can't tell that it's ever been messed with. REALLY helps that I have the correct "w" crimpers but you could pull it off without. The pins are available from GM, I have the part number somewhere out in the garage, somebody shoot me a pm to remind me if you don't see it posted here in a couple days....................

bob

buickturboman where did you get that laptop stand for your Buick? i have power logger and would like to at least know how that mounts into there, because i could fabricate my own, some pics from the side, or mounting place maybe..

Thanks, Dan

There are a lot of wires to splice. I saw the kit at Postins for $45 bills, which is a good price. I think I would just solder the ends to be on the safe side. Once I order the harness, I will see how the colors match up to the stock harness. Can't afford to make any color matching mistakes here :)

Gm number for the individual pins is 12089649 if anyone else is interested. Think they come in a bag of 10, don't remember cost but it was probably 2 or 3 bucks for ten of them. I bought 50, screwed up a couple on accident, and still have 6 or 8 or so left after doing them all. Just an FYI.

good luck!

bob

With the cost so low you should pick up a spare ecm anyway.... just in case. Why not?