New DR's, 6262, trans, 9.5" nlu, SLIC, ALKY= 12.293@111.05

Turbo Negro

Lookin' for 10's
I finally made it back to the track for a test & tune a few weeks ago, and got to make 4 passes. I had a great time, & was very happy with the results.

My original baseline run was a 1.8 60ft. and 13.5et @ 101mph stock turbo, trans, converter, NO alky, & 20 lbs of boost earlier this year (no log). Could hold boost at the line, but smoked the street tires with any boost, and spun shifting into 2nd gear. I thought DR's, and a decent launch alone, would give me an easy high 12sec run, at the time.

Since that initial pass I added: MT 275/60/15 DR's on 8" aluminum GBody repro wheels, Husek built trans, Bison turbo, PTC converter, PTE SLIC, & Razor's ALKY control. I also up'd the boost on the new set-up to around 25lbs with "0" KR & never had to to touch the ALKY. I tried to increase boost by adjusting the actuator rod, but it stayed about the same between runs. Max RPM is only 4900.

My new slip is:
60' 1.858
1/8 7.866 @ 89.85
1/4 12.293@111.05

I was VERY surprised my 60ft didn't improve. I launched @ 20psi of the foot brake!

Replacing the stock valve springs is next on my list, before I go out to the track again. I am only picking up about 21mph from 1/8-1/4mi. I am also going to try the RJC hybrid boost controller to see if I can increase boost.

Converter stall is 2650rpm @ 0 boost. Shifts out around 4900 1-2 & 2-3. RPM drop is ~500. Slip is 0%.

Take a look at the log & let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

I wonder if you need a little more stall with that turbo? I'm hoping that's not it as I'd like to keep my similar stall when I go bigger. I would think it would come up harder though and obviously you build boost on the brake fine. I think you may need to tune your first gear a little. Maybe lean it out a bit and add timing; that should help 60' if you are not spinning. I think 20psi should break loose even those DR's though if tuned right. IDK. Nice runs though! Glad you are much improved. There is a lot more in it yet though with that turbo. 120mph or even 130mph should be no problem for that thing, but you may need a better bottom end much after 120mph depending on what your car weighs.

Add valve springs for sure. If they are stock, they are certainly killing your power. Only 111MPH on 25psi? I managed 115 at 26PSI with a 6131. That 6262 should be making some serious steam. You launched on 20PSI of boost?! I don't think I've ever heard of that happening.. That's a lot of boost you are holding on that brake.. What's your secret? You have 10 second parts running low 12's.. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there is something wrong with your tune.. I can't personally look at the log. What are you targetting for AFR? Timing? There is a ton more left in your combo, maybe ask Bison if he can help you out with it?

Guess I forgot to attached the log. Here it is.

I thought the boost was lower at the line, but after looking at the log it show 20psi when the car starts moving. As far as I know it hooked, too. I didn't feel it break the tires loose, & the guys watching said it didn't spin.

Anyway, this was the baseline run for this combo. No tuning yet, other than setting the boost. Timing, fuel, & ALKY were all left untouched. WB AFR is 10.5-10.8 throughout the run, think I saw it at 11.0 right before the 2-3 shift. Had zero KR. o2's were about 780mv.

Also have a small crack in the DS header that needs repaired before I take it back out. Guess I'll get that & the valve springs done & see what happens.

Attachments

• 2.dat
    259.9 KB · Views: 313
Where are you referencing boost pressure and how is it logged? Could it be wrong? AFR's look good. Timing should be fine with stock settings.. I wonder if valve springs are hurting you that much..

I'm logging the boost via Powerlogger. The boost reference input is from the 3 bar MAP that came with the ALKY Control kit. It's the same signal I'm using for the controller. It's pretty close to what the mechanical boost gauge reads (plus or minus a couple lbs), so I believe it to be an accurate reading.

What I'd really like to figure out is the proper level of boost for the new turbo, mass flow wise, given that I've still got the stock cam & heads. The new valve springs & header repair are a given, but even with that done, the engine will still only rev/flow so much, right? I've also got a set of 1.6 T&D roller rockers to try too, but don't know if they will help at this point.

Also, I think the converter is actually holding it back at the moment, as well. The low-ish stall probably isn't doing my launch any justice at all. It's like it's locked up right from the beginning, & that may be causing the early shifts, too.

When I decided on the 6262 & 9.5" nlu, I knew going in that it wasn't exactly right at this stage, but wanted them for down the road a bit. I'd like to see a mid-high 10sec pass, some day.

I think once I get the target boost figured out, I can start tuning the fuel, timing, & ALKY some.

Please keep the input coming.

Definitely not bashing the converter here. Just concerned about the 2650rpm stall @ 0 boost & the early shifts. I don't want to put an unnecessary increased load on the engine, or hurt the trans in the process.

The turbo spools very quick, and I didn't notice any lag over the stocker.

I was told the converter would start performing to its' potential with more power.

After the new valve springs & header is repaired, I'm going to take it back to the track & try it with similar boost. If all goes well, I'll try turning up the boost into the low 30's. I'm pretty sure I'll have to do some additional tuning along the way to get there, though: add fuel as needed, pull timing. Any pointers?

Did you do the non lock setup on the trans? I know there more left in this combo. Since i didnt look at the file, whats the timing. 1/2 & 3rd gear?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yes, the trans is set-up for nlu. And I do think there's alot left here, too.

I'm hoping the new valve springs will help build higher RPM's between shifts.

Right now the timing is at 23deg in 1st/2nd and 21deg in 3rd. I haven't changed it, that's the settings that came in the chip.

Somethings screwy.....FWIW I ran 12.teens @116 w/ a 1.7 60' with a flaring 2-3 and 3255E turbo, 2600 Ptc lockup (not forcing LU at WOT) on my 120k mile bone stock engine.

Try manual shifting 2-3 around 5300, will get the converter working better.

Fixing the exh leak should help the 60'

There's wheel spin around frame 760. and it's only reving to 4600.

But still it should be better. My combo is similar ( + Ported stock heads, 1.65 rockers and a 206/210 cam) and I went 7.50 in the 1/8th less boost.

Of course the 60ft was 1.63.

There's wheel spin around frame 760. and it's only reving to 4600.

But still it should be better. My combo is similar ( + Ported stock heads, 1.65 rockers and a 206/210 cam) and I went 7.50 in the 1/8th less boost.

Of course the 60ft was 1.63.

Make that 7.25 with a 1.57 60ft

Make that 7.25 with a 1.57 60ft

Way to go!

How did you notice the wheelspin in the log? I went back over it, & noticed a loss of mph at the frame you mentioned. Still learning all this stuff. Thanks.

Way to go!

How did you notice the wheelspin in the log? I went back over it, & noticed a loss of mph at the frame you mentioned. Still learning all this stuff. Thanks.

I think the biggest problem is you aren't reving past 4800. But if you look at both the RPM and vehicle you will see an ever so slight bump where both go up and then come down.

Here's an exaggerated version of wheel spin.

OK, so I got the valve springs done & header welded up. Changed the oil, and went back to the track.

This time the car went 11.444 @ 116.73 with a 1.595 60 ft. and ~30lbs of boost. The Alky was on 7. I launched around 8-10lbs and had to pedal it a little to hook.

OK, so I got the valve springs done & header welded up. Changed the oil, and went back to the track.

This time the car went 11.444 @ 116.73 with a 1.595 60 ft. and ~30lbs of boost. The Alky was on 7. I launched around 8-10lbs and had to pedal it a little to hook.

Good runnin'! Nice 60' too.

That is Great! TR's feel like they float on air when you get a nice pass in!!!

Was that a 7.25 in the 1/8th @ 94 mph?