New Camshaft HELP

QuikRick

:confused: I am getting ready to put a new cam in my '87 GN. I've never done this before but have worked on engines in my younger days and am pretty mechanically inclined. Anyway, I was thinking of going with a Comp cam but after reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if there isn't a better cam. I want the best and money isn't going to hold me back from getting the best. The car has had extensive work done to it by the previous owner and a mechanic. However they are both deceased so I can't talk to them. :rolleyes: So far I have gotten down to the rockers which are T&D 1.65 rockers and blue in color. I have no idea what that means. :confused: I don't know what cam is in the car now but it has a flat lobe and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on cam choice from the experts? The car is a street car as opposed to the drag strip but it has extensive modifications. Also wondering what is the minimum I'll have to remove from the engine to get the old cam out? The car has an in front of the radiator intercooler so can I get the cam out without removing the radiator? Any help ot suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'll keep this thread updated as I get farther along on the project. Thanks for any input.

Give Bill a call @ Weber Racing they have a billet roller cam and kit, its the best I have seen. 440 327-7702 Or weberracing.com

Details..Details...
Are you repairing a bone-stocker, or do you have good head(always nice;)
many variables to consider these days for best results(YOUR'S) not ours.
Good luck,

Kevin.

Give Bill a call @ Weber Racing they have a billet roller cam and kit, its the best I have seen. 440 327-7702 Or weberracing.com

I'll check out the web site and maybe call him later along in the project. I was hoping to use the existing T&D rockers or am I going to have to change those out along with the cam? Thanks for your input. Rick

Definitely NOT stock. Car has been modified down to the bones. TA-49 turbo, HD exhaust and intake valves, steel rods, in front of the radiator intercooler, special pistons to the tune of $525 & rings at $145, Bosch SP calb injeco and not sure about the heads but definitely not stock. Just a few of the mods. What do you think? I want a cam that will do the job and last for awhile... lol

Personally and truthfully, there are many others here more up-to-date than I am with reguards to the 3.8 Turbo and what the majority find acceptable/tolerable for day to day use, or how to recomend a camshaft profile best suited for use with 1.65 ratio rockers(I like and hate both rocker ratio changes) pros are better valve action if the lifter in question does not leak down so much that valvetrain clatter becomes an issue.
Many of the newer camshaft profiles push the rate of lift per degree of rotation to limits that scare old screws like me, sure more power is nice, but at what costs?, noise, wear, stacking clearences?
Getting a custom grind for use with 1.65 ratio is almost a "MUST", a high rate lift cam (already) combined with added ratio increase could spell out disaster with valve float and lobe wear if spring/retainer to guide clearence is not handled, as well as spring coil bind issues(Happens a whole lot more than most think possible, but still happens today). 1.7 installed spring heights have limitations you need to consider if that is the case.
Do your research first, decide what you need to run other than stock.
Good luck,

Kevin.

Def. Do some more research on your own car first. Find out what you have. You have "some" info but modified to the bone is like saying my car is bad ass with one of these looks on your face :eek: Find out what heads are on the car. Stock ? Aluminum ? What if anything has been done to them. Someone's been in the motor, so what's been done ? Intake ported? Stock or aftermarket. Going back with flat tappet or roller. These things could open up more choices for someone to give a good recommendation.

Def. Do some more research on your own car first. Find out what you have. You have "some" info but modified to the bone is like saying my car is bad ass with one of these looks on your face :eek: Find out what heads are on the car. Stock ? Aluminum ? What if anything has been done to them. Someone's been in the motor, so what's been done ? Intake ported? Stock or aftermarket. Going back with flat tappet or roller. These things could open up more choices for someone to give a good recommendation.

That's what I've been doing = research, research and more research! :wink: Heads are Champion aluminum ported and polished. Same with the intake. Turbo is T62, not 49. Definitely going with a roller cam and the morel lifters. Presently leaning toward a 218/212 cam but that is not final yet. I'll keep you all posted as work progresses. :biggrin: Thanx for everyone's input and personal messages. Have helped me alot...:)

The Comp Cams 218/212 specs are 511 intake lift and 504 exh with a 1:55 rocker. With a 1:65 rocker it will be 543 intake and 536 so take this into consideration for the springs and valve clearance.

Bryan

B4 b4 b4...

B4 you stick a new cam in that engine, you should find out where the old cam "went"..:eek:
Could be in the bearings, turbo, oil pump, oil galleys, pan, filter, pushrods, rocker brgs,... take it down and clean it up.............Then do the new cam.:cool:

Good point....

Chuck. I believe there are a few guys on the forum that have personal experience w/sudden death of their new cams from the lsft-over pcs making it thru the p/u screen to the bearings, etc.