new camaro

It looks too much like a Car that a '68 Camaro engineer would imagine the 1980 Camaro would look like.

The new Challenger is a WAYYYYY better design. If you are going to make something Retro, MAKE IT CLASSIC (like the Ford GT and Mustang) and not something the Jetson's would be driving (people from the 60's imagining what the future would be like).

I bet an Asstek designer has something to do with this.

Here are a few other pics of supposed camaros.

Attachments

• 07_Camaro.jpg
    07_Camaro.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 93
  • camaro_445.jpg
    camaro_445.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 80
gordyzx9r said:
Here are a few other pics of supposed camaros.

those were just rendering by somebody not associated with GM. Neither of those are real. However the Silver car posted has been verified as a real GM concept.

The red/black camaro rendering from gordyzx9r's post looks sooooo much better. GM design or not, it would outsell whatever the general designs by twofold.

Chris S

I 100% say the orange ''concept camaro'' with the black stripes looks the best.

If GM made it like that, it'd look badass! It'd be one mean lookin car comin down the streets.

-Adam

GM must be embarrassed by the negative response. If there was a positive buzz on the car, there would be "leaked" pictures everywhere.

UNGN said:
GM must be embarrassed by the negative response. If there was a positive buzz on the car, there would be "leaked" pictures everywhere.

well the reason you don't see leaked pictures everywhere is because GM is threatening to sue over any leaked pictures that are posted. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but the plant that was building the Camaro until '02 still has the rights to the name Camaro until the end of this year. That's why no pictures have been released at all because GM isn't allowed to come out with a product under that name until January 1st. Atleast this is what I have figured out from reading on some of the LS1 forums. So on January 1st I wouldn't be suprised if there will be a large amount of pictures coming out of the car, just in time for the Detroit Autoshow.

72firebird said:
well the reason you don't see leaked pictures everywhere is because GM is threatening to sue over any leaked pictures that are posted. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal but the plant that was building the Camaro until '02 still has the rights to the name Camaro until the end of this year. That's why no pictures have been released at all because GM isn't allowed to come out with a product under that name until January 1st. Atleast this is what I have figured out from reading on some of the LS1 forums. So on January 1st I wouldn't be suprised if there will be a large amount of pictures coming out of the car, just in time for the Detroit Autoshow.

Doesn't GM own said plant? I don't understand how a plant could have rights to a name.

Wasn't it the camaro and the Firebird that GM made in Canada and stated to all of the canadian auto workers that the 2 cars would never be made again due to the shuttering of plants in Canada when the Firebird and Camaro went out of production?

Wells said:
Wasn't it the camaro and the Firebird that GM made in Canada and stated to all of the canadian auto workers that the 2 cars would never be made again due to the shuttering of plants in Canada when the Firebird and Camaro went out of production?

Found this copy and paste on another forum. I dont know how much is true but I did hear the same thing about issues associated with the Camaro name.

If that is true than I would think the Generals lawyers would have worded some type of "catch all" into the contracts. For example instead of using the Camaro name the 07 or 09 F-body could be called the Z/28 or Rally Sport. Those names are synonomous(sp) with Camaro and IMO would be different and wouldn't hurt the sales and sqwelch some of the controversy. Here is my choice for a name to replace the Camaro. How about "F". You could take it to mean anything.
Copy and Paste:
John_R - 11/25/2005 4:04:02 PM
Title: CAMARO name wil open a can of worms
Comment: 1. GM had a battle royal with both the CAW & the Quebec government trying to close down Ste Therese (Where 1993-2002 Camaros and Firebirds were built).

2. GM got a $200,000,000 INTREST FREE loan from Quebec (not due till 2017!! )& $100,000,000 in tax breaks in 1987 to produce the 4th gen Camaro there.

3. In that same agreement (done in 1987 NOT 1997) Ste. Therese won an exclusive agreement from GM to produce Camaros & Firebirds.... yes, and exclusive agreement!

4. By the mid to late 90s the Ste Threse plant was an albatross around GMs neck. Yet they did keep the plant going to most people in the know, long past it's usefulness.

5. GM has till 2005 to replace the jobs lost at Ste Therese with expanded jobs at other plants or has to pay a pension to anyone left who hasn't been rehired.

6. If GM's contract is with the Ste Therese plant. As long as the plant is standing or unsold, GM is committed to making the F-body at that plant!

8. As long as GM has an outstanding balence on it's NO INTREST LOAN from Quebec, it can not make anything called Camaro or Firebird (Rumour has it they have paid off these loans now!!).

9. GM is making investments & grants to Quebec in order to repay it's loans (Which they might have just paid off).

10. By indicating they are contemplating a new Camaro by mentioning it, General Motors would still be liable for breaking their agreements before it could be demonstrated that they have lived up to all terms of that contract.

General Motors would also be demonstrating bad faith if they made an announcement or indicated they were OFFICIALLY moving ahead with a new Camaro before all loans were paid, all CAW workers layed off were rehired (GM HAS TO ACCOMPLISH THIS NO LATER THAN 2005), and the Ste Therese plant was either sold or leveled!

This is pretty much what RP meant by one day we'll understand.

This information has been bouncing around from a number of people inside GM, but no one could publically be quoted. Using numberous press and media sources & stringing them together, this is the story without compromising anybody.

Here's some more info

1. The politics involved was enough to make GMPD Boss Mark Reuss, and GM Chairman of Products & GM's European arm Bob Lutz backtrack on their statements on Camaro. Not because of some dark threat, but to leave open the chance to use the Camaro name in the future.

2. Though it's "possible" GM is working on a car that COULD be named Camaro & will "possibily" be out well before the decade's over, though GM owns the rights to the name, it WON'T use the name if it's going to ruffle feathers and become a sticking point with certain people.

3. The Ste. Therese plant's demolition has been blocked many times the past year (if you read the post before I dropped it, you know why).

There are people devoted to the Camaro "name" who will, if possible, bring it back. Trying to explain what happened at Ste. Therese with Camaro without jepordizing the use of the name in a future (or near future) car is like stepping through a minefield. Certain people are screamish about it. Enough so that they can convince a GM Chairman to backtrack. And since I value the name (and the people I talk to who may or may not have something to do with it) I've chosen to backtrack too.

The future car isn't the issue, but the NAME.

See related article at:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/