"New" cam bearings, WTF!!

Cam thrust bearing...

There is a Torrington bearing in a Ford E4OD trans that has a tighter diameter around the cam, and it had a slight protrusion (waved), that comes out the back, this protrusion happens to be the same diameter as the cam bearing in the block and can be used to align the bearing. Once bearing is in place behind flange at the front of the cam, a cam ROLLER button with proper clearance will keep the Torrington bearing from moving forward and keep it centered. K. Mallender would probably be able to tell you which bearing I'm talking about from the E4OD, since I got it from another trans guy and am not sure whic it is myself. It does fit and self align though! Let me know what you think...anybody. I can provide pictures if needed. Also, the Ford bearing thickness is approximately 0.150, I believe this is very close to the Summit bearing? That said, the location of my cam after eating into the block has the cam lobes centered in the lifter bores? So, I ground the ridges flat to the face of the block and disassembled the Torrington bearing, using only the flat steel piece with the extrusions (for centering), it is .030 thick, the cam lines up perfectly, and after hand filing and sanding the flange on the cam, it rides smoothly against the steel shim. Any comments welcome!:cool:

I think you are describing the washer(bearing) between the overdrive input and the center support, as I recall it was those dimensions and the center locatating sleve had a waved shape, Ford pn# F4TZ-7F240-A, or Dacco trans parts # 96428. hope it helps save a block.

Kevin.

Thanks again Kevin!

I already got one from a friend of mine at a trans shop, he just told me it came out of an E4OD, I just needed to fix mine, and didn't think about it helping someone else at the time. Thanks for posting that part number, I'm sure it will help someone! The .030 thick steel shim could be installed before any damage was done as a preventative. The protruding edges have to be cut down a little, and the front cam bearing may need to be recessed a little further in the block for clearance, but overall a cheap and easy fix. How are your Ford projects going by the way? Good I hope. As always, appreciate your insight, wisdom and smart acidness! Ha, ha, ha! Keep us in line, John.:cool:

Lol, Thanks bud, but you brought it up first, kudo's :biggrin:
Ford projects are confusing me, to DOHC or SOHC??
Gotta tell ya, their foundations are quite strong for production stuff, which allows for some serious creativity in the upper end for power production.
And as for me and my grumpiness you have a valid point my good man, I get "it" really bad after I talk with my soon to be 18 year old son when he tells me he'd REALLY like to smack around a Mazda RX7, say's he likes 'em :confused:????
Then I call them a two-stroke and he yells back about my diesels, he say's, Dad,..they don't have cams.. and I say...EXACTLY, we don't argue too much before I start twitching and start looking for my old baseball bat and a beer.
LOL, be carefull of what you wish for in life, it may grow up to look just like you, only bigger. :biggrin:
Take care,

Kevin.