New Caliber $20K SRT/4

JimP

My friend came over to visit me today with her new car. I was surprised when she pulled up with a Brand New 2008 Caliber SRT/4. She paid just over $20K to purchase it. I wouldn't have believed it but I saw the invoice with my own eyes and I have 20/20 vision. I am still in awe at how this is possible.

It has a six speed transmission, Brembo brakes and the list goes on. I am in the market for a new car I may have to take a copy of her invoice and go see the same dealer. I took it for a spin and this thing goes, turns and stops. it would be a great grocery getter.

I'm not a Chrysler fan however looking at what other cars are out there, nothing compares at this price. Even with the premium fuel requirement I could live with this. Anyone have any long term experience with these vehicles.

I took it on a pretty spirited blast and was very impressed. I will have many more opportunities to drive it as well since when ever we go out she makes me drive whether it's hers or my car.

Nice ride

Wife was in the market for a new car Tried to talk her into getting a Caliber SRT4 (it was kind of a Burnt orange/tangerine Metallic color) man that would have been nice,,,But she liked the looks of the new Mazda CX7 told her that thing is heavy/huge I agreed with her that Mazda was a good brand that the lil' 2.0L turbocharged intercooled Mazda engine was nice but to get it in the smaller/lighter sportier/lighter/sportier/better gas mileage Speed3 version. Man if the darn thing would have had a backup camera she might have got it Couldn't convince/persuade/plead with her as she had her mind made up, she liked the safety feature of the rear camera the GPS the Corinthian leather seats, the lighted makeup mirror...would have been sweet to have gotten her in the Speed3 , oh well it's her car that's what the girl wanted.

It's price is great and has potential. But they screwed up how this car ( is it a car even ) looks and I wonder if they got help from Subaru because they screwed up the WRX too.

I think Dodge is altering it's marketing just like Mitsubishi did when they saw how woman didn't car about the 2.0L Eclipse AWD Turbo. Woman liked how it looked and cared less about the turbo and awd, hence the V6 front wheel drive Eclipse.

The Cobalt actually looks cool IMO compared to that thing, good thing it's cheap and has 4 doors for the kids to get in.

My daily beater is an SRT-4 Neon & I'm seriously considering going for the new Caliber SRT in the near future. The Neon is a fun car & has plenty of go-fast potential (mine's putting down 265hp & 330 ft/lbs at the wheels with just a drop in filter, turboback exhaust and SCT dyno tune) but it's definately still just a rattle-trap econobox with a hyperactive drivetrain.

Fit / finish in the Caliber is much better, it has more amenities / options, the quality of the interior is MUCH improved and it has just as much, if not more, potential for making SERIOUS power. The aftermarket is jumping all over these things, there are already several CSRT's making close to 400hp at the wheels... example:

Realtune Caliber : Stage 2+ED FMIC =385whp/453wtrq...so far - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

JimP... FYI they're not Brembo brakes; the front assembly is sourced from the police package Charger & rears are the same as other Calibers.

Was reading a magazine, consumer reports I think, and they had that car listed as one of the worst in terms of resale and quality of build or something. Can't remember exactly. Said it had some of the worst blind spots of any car also. Might want to do a little research on it. I'd get the turbo hhr before that.

Hmmm.....I don't think ya can touch a 285hp anything today for $20k?? Seems like a real bargain to me. I also read a review on the SRT Caliber and it got raving reviews?? And i'm not even a big Dodge fan, well except for that damn SRT Challenger which I WILL own in a couple years.........:biggrin:

Ken B.

This was a couple of months ago, just before the bristol race. I remember that much cuz I was getting an oil change in my beater so I could drive 1100 miles up and back. Was waiting on my car and reading the magazine. What it actually said, I can't really remember that well. That was several months ago. I do remember it being kinda negative, but again, several months ago. They could have said it was the best car ever made. :confused: $20k for a brand new turbo car is hard to beat.

There was a black one on the power tour this year. they tinted the windows and had a pinstripe artist put a pinkish/purple stripe down it, and that car looked bad @ss.

Thought i'd took some pics of it but can't find 'em. There was also an srt8 grand cherokee on part of it. I'm gonna have to get me an SRT something or other, someday. The only problem would be deciding which one.

I got my 08 Cobalt SS Turbo for $21,500. Stock for stock the Cobalt is a bit quicker than the new SRT. Coming here real soon, the SS 4door. Same motor and available with an auto if wanted.

I am posting way too much, post deprivation I guess. If I had my wish list, I would like to see Chrysler make plenty of automatic performance cars. The SRT4s would be more popular if automatics were an option.

Maybe I'm just a naysayer, but I was repulsed by the SXT version I rented a couple of weeks ago. The fit and finish (inside and out) were terrible, even for an econobox. Loads of blind spots (that A-plr is huge!) Poor material quality. I just hope the SRT version is more refined, but I would be surprised if they addressed all of the afforementioned issues.