New airbags. What PSI worked for you?

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
I've got a set of airbags to go in the GN. What PSI worked for you? This is a 95% street, 5% strip car. I'm not looking for the ultimate solution, just a baseline to start with. Suspension is stock except U/LCA's and some M/T 255-60-15 DR's.

Thanks.

I usually run about 8 lbs in them on the street...just enough to firm the rear up so that tires don't rub. When I go to the track I usually put double the amount in the right. I have 15 in the left and 30 in the right.

Just keep trying different psi not everyone has the same spring rate do to age. The key is to launch the car straight with no rebound meaning the chassis unloads after launch from slamming down or bouncing off the air bags and then tire spinning commences. ;)

Anyone else have a 'sweet spot' you like to shoot for? :cool:

I guess it all depends on your car. Now for instance on my car with a stock suspension (boxed LCA's), I normally start with 8 psi in the drivers bag and 15 in the pass.

Last year I found my car launched the best with 8psi in the drivers, and 17 in the pass. I was pulling 1.60 60 footers with a set of MT ET drag slicks 28x9-15's.

Two airbags help keep large tires off the frame or inner fenders, but you shouldn't have this problem with 255's.

You can put a couple pounds in the left so it doesn't flop around and 15 to 20 psi in the right.

The concept of airbags is to reduce the weight transfer off the right side tire when the axle rotates around the pinion gear.

If You Power brake with the back tires on different scales, you would see that 200 - 500 lbs gets transfered from the right side to the left side.

Right side airbag preloads this side so at launch, the weight is roughly equal on both sides.

Any air in the left side requires an equal amount of air in the right side + the preload pressure, so unless you need to jack up or stiffen the rear for some reason, just put air in the right.

The ideal pressure for the track will produce a pronounced lean, so you probably don't want "ideal Track launch" pressure on the street, but any amount on the right should helps street traction.

I understand drag racing principals, chassis tuning. I run a 10.57@125, 146 60' time in my 78 malibu drag car. I appreciate the baseline suggestions, gentlemen. :D

I understand drag racing principals, chassis tuning. I run a 10.57@125, 146 60' time in my 78 malibu drag car. I appreciate the baseline suggestions, gentlemen. :D

Well then put enough air in the right until it leans too much for your liking, then back off a little. :D

Don't put air in the lefts until you are cutting the sidewall of larger tires with the WOM.

*heavy sigh* Always a wise ass in the crowd. :biggrin: I'll do what I can do to make her run fast and then I will share my secrets with the masses. :biggrin:

On all of my cars in the past, including Sarah, I typically run larger than normal street tires. (275 or 295 series radials out back) On the street, I would always run 10-12psi in both air bags to keep the wheel mouldings from cutting the sidewalls. At the track, I run 7psi in the drivers side and 27psi in the passengers side. This combo has worked well on all of my cars and my current one. Best 60ft I ever had with my old '86 T-Type was a lazy 1.45, with those pressures and these old school parts: Metco rear sway bar, SSM rear lower control arms, stock rear upper control arms, 90/10 shocks in the front, Sears specials in the rear and no front sway bar. Car weighed 3670 with me.

Air bags are a cheap tool to help control launch manners on all G-bodies.

Patrick