new ac delco radiator

phil conrad

Man am i bummed out. I tried to put in the new ac delco radiator that i bought today. What a pos. I have noticed 4 wrong things. I was ok with the 2 exrta fittings on the front that were blocked off :rolleyes: Next I noticed that the fittings were a different thread than the original. I guess I could have used some adaptors:confused: It also has rust on the bottom of the radiator. The final straw is the upper water neck. It is about an inch longer that stock. Oh yeah it also had a different diamater the closer you get to the radiator tank. :( Has anyone else had this problem ? Or is this one of those one size fits all replacements ?
I am going to try and return it on Monday. I hope they dont get a bent out of shape because the box is now dirty.

I have never seen if they make them for GN's but I have had Fluidyne's in 2 different cars any the quality is amazing. They were like works of art, and they dropped my temp 25 degrees in my Formula and 35 degrees in my Stang, I would highly recommend seeing if they make one for your car.

Radiator

Hi Phil,
I had the same trouble with this"discontinued part", hated the fit, etc. As a result, I hired a radiator repair shop to "make" a replacement which consisted of the correct core, but retained my proper side tanks from the original. A less than perfect solution, but I was lucky to have good side tanks! The result looks good, functions well, and you can't tell. People like Poston advertise OEM for lots of money; haven't tried theirs. It ended up costing me about $180, my way.Good luck!
Dale

I've said it before...if you want to avoid all these issues, do yourself a favor and pony up the $$$ for one of Nick Micale's radiators.
FYI...my coolant temp before the Micale radiator and RC dual fans was in the low-mid 170's during cruise and would be over 190 after a run. Now, I cruise in the 160-162 range and rarely top 170 after a run.
These rads drop right in just like stock with all the same fittings and still use the factory upper and lower rubber bumpers.
Sean.