Neutral + Trans brake = Reverse ???

yullose

Certified Gun Nut
Can someone explain to me why I need to put my trans in neutral and hit the button for reverse ?

I was in a hurry when I picked up the trans and didn't have time to BS with the builder... The VB instructions clearly say NOT to use reverse or damage will result. I'm supposed to use neutral and hit the button to back up.

This is a Trans Specialties brake...

The last trans he did for me worked normally in reverse...

What gives ???

Don't know for sure on that VB but with the TCI's you don't get full line pressure in "R" vs "N" with transbrake applied.

My mistake .That is how tci makes them as well.Im surprised trans Specialties would use or manufacture that type of valve body.Iwasnt aware they used this type of circuit,Maybe your builder installed a TCI piece.Most designs are just copies of each other.This type is very poor from a design and functionality standpoint regardless of the manufacturer in my opinion.

It's definitely a Trans Specialties valvebody... as I have the instruction sheet from them that came with the trans...

Maybe it's something new they came out with ? My builder seemed somewhat surprised about it too... unless they were just cleaning off an old shelf and sent him an old outdated VB to use... :D

I just thought it was odd... because the last trans he did for me was in '06... and that one worked normally in reverse.

Who knows. Maybe my builder had an old kit laying around and used it in my trans. I'm not really that concerned about it... I'm sure it will work fine in my car. I just wondered if it was something common and why it worked the way it does.

My buddy has a 70 dart with a 500inch motor on spray and a chrysler trans.. His reverse works the same way his has been together a couple years and hasnt given him any probs...

Yea i pulled it outta the trailer myself....To get reverse you put the car in neutral and hit the trans brake button weird but it works fine and the car currently runs 920s very consistently...

The main issue is the pressure being lo in reverse because of a leak.why is it lo in r and not in neutral?because of poor design and or design constraints reached by people who dont want to dedicate the time to overcome them.

It is probably a FB performance valve body. Mine also has a TSI and that's the the instruction sheet that it came with. Almost every transbrake that I looked at had the reverse lock out, even ATIs.

I talked to my trans guy a few days ago and briefly touched on the VB subject again. He said he called Trans Specialties and was told that reverse still works, but pressure will not be as high as neutral + trans brake. He said if you are only backing out of a parking space or garage it probably wouldn't be an issue... but try not to back up a hill or put any load on it in reverse.

I guess the pressure is much higher if it's in neutral and you push the button.