Neon SRT: 13's STOCK!

J Banning

Quench my thirst with C16
Just got back from watching some runs at Cecil tonight. There was a new yellow Neon SRT (turbo) there. Best run of the night was a 13.88 @ 102mph! That was with a good bit of wheel spin out of the hole. It was brand new with only the air box lid removed!! He also had a 13.96 run I saw. That was with a 2.2 60'. Also note that this was his first time EVER at the drag strip!

I'd say those are some pretty impressive times for a little car like that. Now I wonder what it would run with open exhaust, some extra boost, and 100 octane in the tank? :)

P.S. I saw 3-4 other board members there. Frang G was running 11.90's on pump gas (nice!).

-Banning.

im thinking of buying one....i too have also seen high 13's at FONTANNA(califonia speedway) from a stock neon! very impresive, blows the doors off any import! JR. American Muscle, Jr for the 4 cylder. lol:D

Damn, I need to make my car faster. However that is pretty cool that a domestic 4 banger is kickin some import azz! Can't wait to see what happens when guys turn the wick up.

Not bad,

I'm not a fan of Neon's but that's not bad. I still worry after they had the problems with headgasket letting go on the older models. A turbo is only going to make that worse. Also... as you said there was a lot of wheel spin. That might be an issue. Still... not bad.

Man it would suck to get beat by a Neon. It's just a matter of principle. Everything is getting faster nowadays. You have to be modded now just to be on par with some pretty basic stuff out there.

Jim

those things are not bad! turn up the wick, and what else can they do- 12's???

i wouldnt put much faith in a dodge product, worse than ford if you ask me. turn up the wick and that wick may lead to a loud boom! neons are and always will be an ugly little puke box.

Chris, that was the 95 sohc engines.. Long time ago and not the same engine anyway. The new ones have that ironed out.

They are rockets

Originally posted by gn85
Not bad,

I'm not a fan of Neon's but that's not bad. I still worry after they had the problems with headgasket letting go on the older models. A turbo is only going to make that worse. Also... as you said there was a lot of wheel spin. That might be an issue. Still... not bad.

Neons

The turbo Neons are FAST, but let me tell you fom someone who owned a Neon...they are JUNK! I don't care if the little crap can ran 10's, thet literally fall apart after 3 years. I would, and have, bought a 14 sec car and spend some money on bolt ons to get it in the low 13's.

BEWARE THE DODGE NEON!!

BT

We made the crank sensor for that motor I believe, now made in Mexico, yup CRAP!!!

At least it was designed in the US. ;)

3 year car is about right. :rolleyes:

I'd prefer a Vega with a small block Chevy. :D

Mopar performance also offers an ecu and injector upgrade for around $400 that brings the SRT close to 290 hp.. It does NOT negate the warranty either..

Not bad in my opinion.. But as stated, it is a Neon...

The last one I saw at NED ran a 14.02. He was really trying for 13s. Car and Driver show on TV did a little peice on them. They say lots of bang for the buck but dont' expect fit and finish of imports. Unsaid but implied-they won't last a damn.

Originally posted by Pronto
The last one I saw at NED ran a 14.02. He was really trying for 13s. Car and Driver show on TV did a little peice on them. They say lots of bang for the buck but dont' expect fit and finish of imports. Unsaid but implied-they won't last a damn.

neither will the new Evos. Fastest car under $30k? all that boost from the factory? sure doesn't leave too much room for improvement... oh yeah and just about every car I hear of that runs that kind of boost requires year-long maintanence. heh. I bet the SRT4 and the evo will depreciate, except for the ones some people decide to collect and sell with 10 miles.

There is is a base neon that runs at our local track----completely BONE STOCK---the ugly green color--even has the ugly hubcaps.--no fart can--no obnoxious gauges----but does have a 100 shot---the car runs 13.6's all day long---run after run after run after run---how long can it do it---who knows--i have been watching it do it for a year now--sure it's still a neon-----but the bone stock vette in my sig only ran 13.49-----and that was driving the wheels off it.

SRT's are very cool--i would hate to pull up beside one in my "slow" car.

Geoff

Originally posted by 1ARUNEM
Mopar performance also offers an ecu and injector upgrade for around $400 that brings the SRT close to 290 hp.. It does NOT negate the warranty either..

Not voiding a warranty? I'd like to see that happen in real life. :mad:

Well, it is a MOPAR PERFORMANCE (factory) upgrade.. Offered by the dealers.. I have a good friend that works at a large Dodge dealer and they have already installed a couple of the upgrades AND they honor the warranty.. How's that for real life.. :)

There's a srt4 on Drag radials that went 12.8s at our track. The guy said he left the boost at stock because he didnt know how the ecm would react to more boost...and said "besides, i didnt add a boost controller yet" and used cool blue 100. He was contemplating on getting that "factory upgrades" within a few months. he's currently saving up for it. So i guess you can buy the car 1st...then send it back for a factory upgrade :rolleyes: