need wastegate/boost control help please!

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
Here's the scoop....I got a new 6262SP turbo and a 3" GN1 external gate downpipe. I previously had a THDP, but decided to go with the external gate because "everyone" said it would be easier to adjust and maintain boost. I installed everything and hooked it up tuner style, with the top port on the wastegate vented. Allegedly these GN1 pipes come with the 8lb spring, correct? I do not have a boost controller yet, but I was just trying to run this new motor enough to break it in and do some baseline tuning with the new wideband and Powerlogger. The car initially would only run about 9 lbs, which made sense with the alleged 8 lb spring, however now it will go to 25+ with no problem. I have verified that all of the hoses are still connected.

I've heard that these GN1 wastegates are not very good, so what would be a direct replacement for it? The PTE gates don't look like they would drop right in, and I really don't like the idea of hacking up a $500 pipe just to add another $350 piece to it. Thoughts????

You can cut off return side of wastegate and open it up where it meets the downpipe then put back on and a lot of people said it works fine then. I still have to do that to mine also, but for some reason I took vacuum from egr and put it at the top port on wastegate with also the boost line from turbo to bottom port and it allows me to run 16lbs. I don't know why it's working like that but mine does, try and see if it does same for you.

verified with Full Throttle that they come with a 9 lb spring......so why is it spiking to 25+? Does anyone know if a Tial gate will drop right into this pipe or am I going to have to cut this thing up and learn how to weld?

The car initially would only run about 9 lbs, which made sense with the alleged 8 lb spring, however now it will go to 25+ with no problem. I have verified that all of the hoses are still connected.

It controlled at 9 psi, but now it won't? You should remove the gate and make sure its not stuck...

Bob

Thanks Bob, if it is stuck, how would one get it unstuck? Am I looking for the spring to be compressed fully or what? How could I ensure this doesn't happen again if that is the case? I know this isn't a "top of the line" wastegate, so is there a better option that may be more reliable?

I believe there are some Tial wastegates that bolt onto that pipe.

Take the gate off and make sure the valve is not stuck closed, make sure the diaphragm is not leaking, etc.

Bob

Tom Tom Turbo said:
Thanks Bob, if it is stuck, how would one get it unstuck? Am I looking for the spring to be compressed fully or what? How could I ensure this doesn't happen again if that is the case? I know this isn't a "top of the line" wastegate, so is there a better option that may be more reliable?

There is never any guarantee a wastegate won't get stuck. I heard a story about two 20k plus engines destroyed on the dyno when the wastegates were seized. Yup twice because the wastegate was seized and not caught. It's bound to happen especially with oxygenated race fuel. After the car sits it's best to be sure the gate is working.

Talked with Archie yesterday and he believes the return pipe from the WG to the main tube didn't get cleaned out properly during manufacturing. I did use a compressor and verify that the gate was opening and closing. Appears as though he is going to make it right. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for the help!

Definitely keep up posted because I've read several people with issues like this that use the GN1 downpipes, myself included to an extent. As far as Wastegates i believe Tial does make one with the 4 bolt flanges that would work or you can get 4 bolt to v-band adapters to run a different wastegate of your choice

Talked with Archie yesterday and he believes the return pipe from the WG to the main tube didn't get cleaned out properly during manufacturing. I did use a compressor and verify that the gate was opening and closing. Appears as though he is going to make it right. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for the help!

Keep working with him, he will do his best make it right.

I had a problem with my pipe's fitment and he was able to make it right. Good luck..

update......Archie cut the pipe to make sure it wasn't blocked or filled with slag. After thumping the pipe with a hammer again and re-working my trans mount and cat hanger, the pipe finally fits decent enough to drive without banging the frame. I hooked up an air compressor and hear a distinct clicking noise at 9-10 PSI, so it appears as though the gate should be working properly. However, after driving the car, at about half throttle the boost is climbing rapidly to 30 PSI and beyond......thank goodness there's alky on the car and I have it pretty darn rich until I sort this stuff out.

Why can't I get this under control? I'm seriously regretting selling my THDP at this point.

take the gate off, and open it up. make sure it moves properly, then reinstall it with no spring.

if your boost does not come down then, it never will with that setup.

is the wastegate hole in the turbo hogged out to match the pipe?

Bob

Yes, I opened the turbo up to the specs that Archie suggested. I'll try taking the spring out this weekend and see if that helps. Thanks Bob!

Is the wastegate of a style that can be bolted on backwards like most are and is it round the right way

Sent from my C8660 using Tapatalk 2