Need Trailer Info

Tandem Double axle & electronic brakes are a few good features.
Are you looking for enclosed or open?

Are you going to tow it with the lightning?

Electric brakes and class IV load leveling hitch would be mandatory with a lightning. The load levelers will keep the rear of the truck from sagging...but will take weight off the back tires...hence the need for electric brakes.

Since you won't be using LT tires, get a light trailer.

Drop axles will tow easier in a crosswind and better all around, but will require removable fenders or a winch to enable door openings on the car.

If you are going to use a tow vehicle without mudflaps, a nose on the trailer is a good idea. I had a metal framework that was covered in canvas by a tarp shop on my open trailer. It saved more in paintwork than it cost to make.

Thanks Two-Lane,

I'm looking for an Open Trailer, something to pull my TTA with. I would like something lighter as I only have 5000lbs to work with and the car is 3550. Yes I am going to tow with the Lightning...

The leveling bars.. Whats that do? Hows that work?

Thats the kind of info I'm lookin for :)

How do electric brakes work?

Originally posted by TTA89
The leveling bars.. Whats that do? Hows that work?

A "class IV" hitch is basically a class III hitch (a 2" receiver) with a hitch with provisions for load leveling bars.

Load leveling bars mount on the sides of the ball and are attached to the side of the trailer with chains. For a trailer to be class IV compatible it needs to have chain mounting provisions on the sides of the tounge.

The load levelers effectively transfer weight off the rear wheels of the tow vehicle to the front, reducing the rear squat. The drawback of this is traction is also reduced at the rear wheels of the truck, for acceleration and braking.

How do electric brakes work?

If you order a truck with a trailer towing package, the electric brake controller ($50-100 from auto parts store) plugs in easily under the dash to the factory wires. (In a GM car, it took me less than 10 minutes to install an aftermarket controller) If the truck doesn't have a TT package it make take a few hours to install.

The controller regulates the amount of braking force applied to the trailer. It varies by load. so it needs to be adjusted if the trailer is full or empty, otherwise lockup or long stops will occur.

Modern brake controllers can vary the force in both a regular and panic stop condition. so much so, you can forget the trailer is back there.

Lightnings come with a towing package. At least mine did. You'll be limited to an aluminum open deck trailer at that weight. I know of guys who have towed 7000lbs with a Lightning without problems over at NLOC.