Need the hard facts on auto quads....

Falcon351C

Hey Guys,
I posted a while ago about how I was looking for a quad. I recieved many replies and the info was very helpful. Now im to the point where im going to buy one. Tuesday is the day it happens. And I still got one little problem. I've settled on artic cat...but I dont know if I should go with the 300 4x4 or the 400 4x4. I love the amazing ground clearance....and beefyness of the 400....but it's auto...and it is belt driven. And from the beginning I have said I wouldnt go with the belt drive. why I chose that? I dont know. I guess it would just always be in the back of my head that the belt could fail. So thats why I come here. I want the truth....cold hard facts. Will the belt driven automatic last as long...and be as tough and reliable as the standard clutchless manual design of the 300? I'd love to go with the bigger motor, power and stance of the 400...but not if it wont last as long as the 300. all the riding will be "normal" use. But I wont be afraid to point the thing in the biggest mud holes and narliest trails I can find out here in northern california. So what do you hardcore quad guys think? this is pretty much my deciding factor. I trust in the turbobuick community....dont let me down guys =)

just a side note...the artic cats run a suzuki drive train..and the trans on the auto is fully sealed and has a metal case...

Well, I know I don't count as "hardcore", since I don't own one. But I have ridden a few different friend's machines. 4 autos, and only one shifter machine. So based solely on numbers, most of the people I know found autos to be acceptible for their use. I'd say that from the sound of things, your intended riding is pretty much the same as what these machines see, occasionally pushed into the rougher stuff. I have no idea if there's much difference as far as reliability from Mfr. to Mfr. I've been on a cat, a polaris, something blue (yamaha maybe??), and I can't recall the other 2, it was a while ago.

Hopefully someone with more experience will give ya some better info. Good luck with you r purchase, whichever you end up choosing. My personal preference was towards the auto machines. Granted that I'm not that experienced, but I found it cumbersome to have to be switching gears when trying to negotiate rough terrain.

Don't worry about the belt.Go with the auto. I have a 650 Prairie and pull it all the time and have not had no trouble yet.You do know what gear you need it in though HIGH or LOW.THANK YOU