Need some veteran help please

macsfamily

Hello everyone! First post after lurking every day for quite some time. Looking for some advise with my issue. Below is my issue followed by the scanner data. I appreciate any help you may have!!
Car: 87 GN 62,000 miles
All items below completed in last month ( followed "spring cleaning" )
- Coil Pack
- Spark plugs ( NGK Copper )
- Plug wires
- Fuel filter
- Air filter ( OEM )
- Reset IAC and TPS
- Replaced all intake boots and clamps
- New PCV Valve w/ additional check valve
- Oil ( Royal Purple ) and filter ( Wix w/ chk valve )
- Stock fuel pump w/ racetronix hotwire installed
- Cleaned and ohmed all engine bay ground points
- New MAF ( OEM style ) and O2
- RJC power plate
- New adjustable Turbo actuator ( currently set to oem spec )

ISSUE: While driving with little to no boost, I am getting an erratic chk eng light for "O2 lean". It will also do this while at a stand still idling. Watching the scanner, it reads as O2 lean almost always unless I give it some throttle and let off. The car does not idle well and wants to stall out, especially when cold. Any ideas??

Scanner data at idle:
BLM 150
TPS .42v
RPM 975-1025
IAC 16-24v
O2 state LEAN
O2 V .29-.30
MAF 004 G/S
INT 150
CLOSED LOOP
CLNT TEMP 195
AIR FLOW 004 G/S
SPARK ADV 36 degrees
TCC off

macsfamily said:
Hello everyone! First post after lurking every day for quite some time. Looking for some advise with my issue. Below is my issue followed by the scanner data. I appreciate any help you may have!!
Car: 87 GN 62,000 miles
All items below completed in last month ( followed "spring cleaning" )
- Coil Pack
- Spark plugs ( NGK Copper )
- Plug wires
- Fuel filter
- Air filter ( OEM )
- Reset IAC and TPS
- Replaced all intake boots and clamps
- New PCV Valve w/ additional check valve
- Oil ( Royal Purple ) and filter ( Wix w/ chk valve )
- Stock fuel pump w/ racetronix hotwire installed
- Cleaned and ohmed all engine bay ground points
- New MAF ( OEM style ) and O2
- RJC power plate
- New adjustable Turbo actuator ( currently set to oem spec )

ISSUE: While driving with little to no boost, I am getting an erratic chk eng light for "O2 lean". It will also do this while at a stand still idling. Watching the scanner, it reads as O2 lean almost always unless I give it some throttle and let off. The car does not idle well and wants to stall out, especially when cold. Any ideas??

Scanner data at idle:
BLM 150
TPS .42v
RPM 975-1025
IAC 16-24v
O2 state LEAN
O2 V .29-.30
MAF 004 G/S
INT 150
CLOSED LOOP
CLNT TEMP 195
AIR FLOW 004 G/S
SPARK ADV 36 degrees
TCC off

What chip? Fuel pressure regulator? Is it happening under boost? Did you properly ground your hotwire kit? If not you will only pull an 7-8 amp charge.

What upgrades have you done to car besides listed above?

First thing to do is check fuel pressure at idle and going down the road.

By stock, do you mean original fuel pump? If original, replace it ASAP.

Your BLM and INT are both pegged at max. There's likely a substantial vacuum leak, or pre turbo exhaust leak to peg them both like that.

MAF is reading a little low, should be closer to 6 at idle with a good OEM MAF. Remanufactured MAF's are badly calibrated and usually read low at idle, and especially low at WOT.

What brand O2? If it's an AC Delco AFS-22, scrap it.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a huge vacuum leak from the pcv valve... I would start by plugging up vacuum lines to find the vacuum leak and then move to some of the other readings..

The engine is idling around 1000rpm yet the MAF is only reading 4. That's either a bad MAF or a HUGE vacuum leak somewhere between the MAF and intake.

What chip? Fuel pressure regulator? Is it happening under boost? Did you properly ground your hotwire kit? If not you will only pull an 7-8 amp charge.

What upgrades have you done to car besides listed above?
No other mods other than those listed. I "felt" that the hotwire kit was grounded properly. But, I will measure it. Seems to be fine under boost, but I am not completely sure what "good" is, the car is new to me.

Thanks everyone! I will look for any vacuum and / or exhaust leaks tonight. I currently have the OEM fuel pump, a reman MAF and I can not recall what brand O2. I have depleted my current funds with the items mentioned, so going with a LS1 Maf and translator is out of reach at the moment. My next intended purchase is a fuel pump.

ALSO, I failed to mention that I installed 100 lb. valve springs. Not sure if this would have an impact?

Where are you located? Maybe someone near could lend you a good MAF to see if that the issue. I haven't hear of anyone getting a reman MAF to work right. Check your vacuum block to make sure it's not cracked. Like Nick said check the fuel pressure. If the pump is crapped out, a hot wire is not going to make better.

Where are you located? Maybe someone near could lend you a good MAF to see if that the issue. I haven't hear of anyone getting a reman MAF to work right. Check your vacuum block to make sure it's not cracked. Like Nick said check the fuel pressure. If the pump is crapped out, a hot wire is not going to make better.
I am in Salt Lake City. I have talked to Jason at RJC a couple times, maybe he might have something? Thank you for the suggestions!