Need some quick tech advice

JB83T

Hi guys, I am still new here even though I joined last summer I am sorry for not posting more. I have been too busy. :)

Today I have been replacing the timing cover gaskets and front seal on my 83 T-type .When I removed the cover, the camshaft thrust button spring broke in half. It's the little spring that goes between the thrust button and the front of the cam. I was wondering where I could get another one quick. I know AutoZone doesn't stock them. I wonder if I bought a camshaft kit there, if it would have one in the box. I could just save the cam for a rebuild later or something. I tried rigging up one using a old thermostat spring but it was too crooked to work. Anyone rigged up a spring to work? I need the car for work Monday . Any help will be appreciated. :)

I'll post this over in general tech also in case anyone might know.

For a quick fix... a U-pull-it yard, but you could end up with another broken one. Call around to all the parts places by you.
If you can wait, JCotton or any of the other venders can probilly have one they could ship out to you.
Jim

Just got off the phone with AutoZone. They don't stock it or know what it isI guess I am out of luck until Monday. I don't know how I'll get to work. The Iroc is not road worthy either. I wonder what other motors carry these springs? I doubt I'll have any luck finding a 3.8.
There is one junkyard open tomorrow.

That sux. When I got one for mine Napa, Carquest, and Schucks all had one in stock. check parts houses for a dynagear #7189. Also check www.partsamerica.com for that part #. Tell them at Autozone to pull there heads out and look up a cam button.:D

Never mind. I just went on thier website and if there computers are set up like that in the store no wonder they can't even find thier own ass with both hands.

Originally posted by JB83T
Hi guys, I am still new here even though I joined last summer I am sorry for not posting more. I have been too busy. :)

Today I have been replacing the timing cover gaskets and front seal on my 83 T-type .When I removed the cover, the camshaft thrust button spring broke in half. It's the little spring that goes between the thrust button and the front of the cam. I was wondering where I could get another one quick. I know AutoZone doesn't stock them. I wonder if I bought a camshaft kit there, if it would have one in the box. I could just save the cam for a rebuild later or something. I tried rigging up one using a old thermostat spring but it was too crooked to work. Anyone rigged up a spring to work? I need the car for work Monday . Any help will be appreciated. :)

I'll post this over in general tech also in case anyone might know.

Hello,
I believe I have several of the springs you need, I had to get one for my 4.1 and only place I found was at the dealer, but they would only sell me a bag with 6-7 springs wouldnt open a package to sell me just one. Email me, I will check if I still have them and I can send one out to you.

P.S. Im assuming it is the same spring, I dont know why it would be different.