need some input for starter wiring

Red Regal T

Just rebuilt a motor for one of the local guys. 87 GN beater class. R & R d the motor and rebuilt. Started engine today but my problem is when I turn the key to start, I get nothing. No juice to starter solenoid on jumper wire. Checked under dash, and purple wire off switch goes hot when I turn the key to start. Want to get this car away so I'm considering running a wire from starter solenoid to purple wire. Figure I have a break somewhere in original "beater" wiring. Any downsides to this "rig"?

There was an elaborate alarm system wired in under the dash. The owner said he only used it sparingly and that it was more of a pain than something good. I got his permission to cut it all out, but didn't help me. Maybe there's some splitter or something down line, but I'm in overtime on this "beater" and just want to get it done. These glitches have slowed me down from getting thisjob completed, but on the other hand, I don't want to bury my customer.

Well, thanks for the suggestion. The owner knows nothing about it. Maybe that's it. I'll install a different chip tomorrow and see. I don't have any experience with these anti-theft electronics so never occured to me. :eek:

Check the purple wires at the C100 main connector plug under the wiper motor.

Should be hot from the key all the way to the solenoid if not interrupted by an alarm.

It's pin E4 on the big C100 connector but the hammer won't care much about that. :eek: ;)

Lower right side of the C100 connector purple wire all the way from IGN to the starter.

A chip would prevent ignition but it wouldnt stop cranking....i think.

make sure you cut out any relays that may have been added.

Check 12v crank above the fuse box, you will need to cut the electrical tape to get to the 10g purple wire.

Might be the main molex to the engine compartment if there is 12v start comming from the ignition switch.

steve hughes said:
Doesn't the purple wire go from the ign switch thru the nuetral safety switch?

The purple wire does not go through the neutral safety switch it goes straight from the ignition switch to the starter solinoid on the starter.

Our cars do not have a electrical neutral safety switch like the newer cars.

1 possibility is the fusible link blew. Another is I found a splice for the kill switch hidden inside the tubing that runs above the rear of engine that I pulled apart unknowingly. took all day to find it.

Thanks guys.......there was a yellow solderless connector on the purple wire that had been installed at some time to extend the length of the wire, and the connector was corroded and had a shorted connection. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Probably something you did while hacking the alarm out of it.Was it running before you got out the machete? Maybe you should let a proffesional take over at this point and fix it right...before you screw the whole car up. :D j/k Sorry,I'm really caught up in this april fools day thing.