need some help with the cam selection

anyone know what a girdle install goes for? does the motor have to be pulled to install one or can it be done same time i open up for the heads and cam install? the rjc girdle and my arp headbolt kit should give me the bandaid i need so i'm not too worried about turning up the boost i think. i see a picture of it on rjcracings site but the install directions aren't posted anymore. it says their is no need for machining so technically is it something anyone can bolt on or do you still need a machine shop for the install?

Greg

anyone know what a girdle install goes for? does the motor have to be pulled to install one or can it be done same time i open up for the heads and cam install? the rjc girdle and my arp headbolt kit should give me the bandaid i need so i'm not too worried about turning up the boost i think. i see a picture of it on rjcracings site but the install directions aren't posted anymore. it says their is no need for machining so technically is it something anyone can bolt on or do you still need a machine shop for the install?

Greg

Girdle install is around $300-$500 + the cost of the girdle. This is a ballpark figure. It cannot be done with the engine in the car. All the main caps will need to be ground or machined to an exact height and cut on the register side for the line hone... and then the block will need to be line honed. It takes some time to do it right.

HTH

going to see how much one of the buick shops my friend gets his car worked on wants for doing the girdle, center mains, and heads/cam install while its out. hopefully not TOO TOO bad but we shall see. any ideas on the prices? maybe i can get all this taken care of next month.

Greg

Just curious, what spring pressure (seat and open) would you use for the 212/212 roller?
Thanks,
Jeff

going to see how much one of the buick shops my friend gets his car worked on wants for doing the girdle, center mains, and heads/cam install while its out. hopefully not TOO TOO bad but we shall see. any ideas on the prices? maybe i can get all this taken care of next month.

Greg

Alot....

I would hate to guess. It is hard to look at these cars and not spend a fair amount of $$.

Just curious, what spring pressure (seat and open) would you use for the 212/212 roller?
Thanks,
Jeff
There is a lot involved in matching a spring package to a certain cam profile. The manufacturer of the cam should be the first person to consult on this.

going to do the billet main caps and forged pistons. i'm debating if i need to do the rods as well. stockers should be ok i think. goal is to go around 10.50s and still be extremely streetable. if i can't do it with the 61mm i'll be going with the 67mmbb. the heads i got coming in the mail have the beehive springs for the hydraulic roller cam, so i should be able to rev pretty high with the 212/212 cam and those springs? i think high boost and a good tire that 61mm is a mid 10 sec capable turbo. we shall see. talked to a shop today and they told me for parts and machining for the caps and pistons i'd probably be looking around 1500 bucks. sound right or off?

Greg

If I were you, I'd call Dan at DLS, he's the man when it comes to cams! He is custom grinding my cam for my Stage 2 block. His number is 219-956-3653. He'll shoot you in the right direction! ------Jeremy

thanks will do. does he sell shortblock parts too like the pistons, rings, and caps? if so i could just order everything from their. thanks for the info, will give him a buzz and see what he says.

Greg

deciding to stick with the stock bottom end now. going to send the motor out for the heads cam install next month and will be getting it dyno'd and tuned as well. will let everyone know how it turns out this april.

Greg