Need some help with my car's night racing :)

Sandman_GN85

Someone help me?
Well I get my liscense this year and had been saving for a long long time. I bought an 85 GN and can't wait till I can drive it alone. Now I have read alot on this board and every where else on these cars and I know when I actually feel comfortable driving it, my senior parking lot will have a black beast to deal with. My question is what are good racing techniques? I have read about building boost etc before the light, how do you do this? Any other tips will be helpful. Oh and I don't plan to get my liscense and go kill myself racing, I won't even attempt the cars power until I can handel the car regularly well.

To build boost, with your left foot, you stand on the brake pedal and with your right foot, you start pressing on the gas pedal until you either break the tires loose {too much boost] or light up about 5 of the boost bars on the dash, then let loose of the brake pedal while flooring the gas pedal and hold on. But be ready to let off the gas pedal if the tires start spinning violently. You practice until you find the best middle ground of launching without spinning the tires. I have found that Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro's hook the best for me on the street and strip.
Good luck.

Thanks, oh god I can't wait for my senior year next year. They remeber my brother for his 87 Monte Carlo SS, still probably one of the fastest cars in town, still probably the fastest that races. If they thought his car was nasty, those ricers are really going to hate me :p. Right now my 85 GN is in the shop becuase it was rearended the 2nd day I had it but its all fixed and is being painted right now. When I get it back I'll be throwing on minor mods like ATR headers, ATR 2.5 or 3" exhuast just to make it even nastier. :cool: I can't wait to get the beast back!

I dont wanna talk like I am above you or anything, but once you get your lisence and you get to drive on the open road..you will most likely beat on the car...alot.

I know when I first got my Lisence I boosted my car alot.

Even when you baby the car watch out...read some back threads JonASterg, and another board member learned the hard way that these cars are RWD, and when they dont get traction...well..the rear end gets a mind of its own....(in the rain our cars love to slide out with just the slightest boost)

Just be carefull..once that boost sets in it can be a bit much to control the car..and like I tell all my friends that race..when the tires start to spin, and you get loose LIFT YOUR FOOT!

Have Fun with your car, and make sure that you invest in a knock gauge/scantool before you go opening it up!

Drive safely

Herb
A.K.A. One of those Teen drivers(17) most people hate, because my car is too damn loud :D

Hehe I'm way ahead of you on the rear-wheel situation. My bro is letting me practice rw in his junker. Plus I got a ride for bad weather days =) Although I will beat on the car when I first get it, it will only be on nice days that the beating is occuring =).

I hear ya.. It's hard to restrain yourself. I've had my license for.. hmm.. 4 years now and I can tell ya if I had my GN when I first got it... i'd probably have killed myself :)

for a lot of guys I know (and younger ones), it unfortunately takes at least 1 bad experience to humble their driving.. an accident (or very close call), losing control of the car at a critical time, or something like that will usually do it.

worked for me :) anyway, be careful and have fun!

Dave

To the dragstrip for you! It really is the best place for you to get nuts with the car. They let you do smokey ol' burnouts and encourage you to run as fast as possible. Since I started hitting the track, my public speeding had taken a nosedive. You'll really get a handle on the cars traction abilities and what it can do in terms of acceleration (you WILL be disappointed with your first timeslips, but that's where we come in:)). Ask Dave! He got it on tape! From 15.6 to 14.2 in one afternoon! There is still more in her! Just make sure you listen to the experienced members and they'll give you some solid info. Be careful, maintain her well, and she'll stand up to an occasional thrashing now and then without a problem.

I 've been street racing for about 7 years now but i do it smart, dont race when cars are around or people in the way ,dont pass people on the side of the road. Make sure you look around for the police very well, i am not trying to tell you what to do but myself i have almost been killed before racing i had a 69 vw bug running in the 12's i was doing about 110mph and had a car pull out on me and i mised him by a inch ,i was the luckest guy on the earth the car was all fiberglass it would not been good.

Ok now stall the car up dont brake the tires loose , if you have good tires this will work . i have to race when i get in 2nd it spins to much , keep a eye on the light on the left of you when there light turns red your light will be green soon after. If you can get the jump you have a better chance.

I dont want to tell you to go race but you are going to any way so i hope this helps you , dont forget no race is worth your life. So be careful and drive smart nobody wants you to kill your self over a race. One more thing someone on here said to go to the track, good thinking its just as fun as street racing.

good luck buddy

Originally posted by dave84gn

it unfortunately takes at least 1 bad experience to humble their driving.. an accident (or very close call), losing control of the car at a critical time, or something like that will usually do it.

Yup..worked for me :)

I went out testing, and I blew my turbo...if you all have never blown a turbo before...my god...you dont want it EVER to happen when you are in boost....it sends tons of oil all thru the intake and that creates knock..also your car smokes as if it is on fire....I have never seen so much smoke before..the whole road fills up with smoke...from now on I go easy on my car cause everytime I go WOT I am just waiting to hear that horrible knock sound, and be greated with the sight of smoke in the rear veiw!

Originally posted by crazygn

keep a eye on the light on the left of you when there light turns red your light will be green soon after. If you can get the jump you have a better chance.

When street racing I usually do that...but what happens when someone goes thru that LATE LATE LATE yellow light, and then you tear off into the intersection as soon as the green lights up....Boom....I usually watch the lights..when my light goes green start to spool..as soon as I see its clear release the brake, and go WOT!

Alright thanks for all the help guys, I can't wait till I get my car back, then I gotta wait even longer for my liscense. Ahh just more time to take care of it hehe. One question "with your right foot, you start pressing on the gas pedal until you either break the tires loose {too much boost] or light up about 5 of the boost bars on the dash, " what does break the tires loose mean? Also I am guessing by using the boost building technique we go through tires faster then other people :p ? Thanks

Holding the left foot on the brake and the right on the gas [ power braking] push down on the gas slow when you hear the turbo spooling let off the brake and floor it. Braking the tires loose - when you pwer brake the car to build boost the tire can only hold so much and start to spin , this is not good for racing you will be left at the light . When the tires brake loose let off the gas a little tell it stops spinning. And yes, dont do the light trick if there are cars there this is only a late night trick when nothing is around.

good luck