Need some help from you Florida guys

TRBON8R

I'm planning on vacationing in Florida for a week this winter. Basically I'm kind of looking at it in terms of a vacation and also a chance to check out Florida as a possible place to relocate. I'm simply priced out of living here in CA. I heard on the radio yesterday that the median home price in L.A. County is expected to rise 13% next year and top the $400,000 level. :rolleyes: I give up and I'm thinking it's just about time to move on. Florida is tops on the list of places I may go at this point. I've been told by a friend that the west coast of Florida is beautiful from Tampa on down south? Can you guys clue me in on the most desirable parts of the state as far as living? What are the home prices like? Of course I'm also interested in the proximity to racetracks, not to mention being near a good turbo mechanic! Have you guys got some good turbo mechanics down there? :) Thanks for the help :)

Lots of great areas in tampa st.pete, and clearwater.
Lots of buicks as well.
Post in the florida section may get more replies.
Richie

The Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater area is a very nice, large populated area. As you go south from there you have the Sarasota/Venice area that is also nice, less populated however it is a magnet for the elderly who come down from the Northern states to retire. Farther south is Ft Myers and it is also nice. Don't bother going to Naples, it will resemble L.A. as far as housing costs. There are many small towns in between Ft Myers and Tampa that are great too. Tampa area is roughly 1 to 1 1/2 hours from the Bradenton track, which is an awesome 1/4 mile track. Ft Myers is probably about 2 hours south of the track, however there is a small 1/8 mile track in Immokolee that is about 30 minutes from Ft Myers. Come down in February as there is a Buick event at Bradenton then.

Ed

I am in Punta Gorda, its a small town inbetween Fort Myeres and Venice. Lots of old people here. No turbo buick mechanics, and 70 miles exactly from Bradenton. The town is nice, but Turbo Buick and racing wise, this area is moderate. There are some ricers but nothing compared to other areas. Good luck.

Ben, you don't want to go over to the Redneck Riviera..aka the Gulf Coast. :D Ahh, who am I kidding, Jacksonville is just south Georgia with 2% fewer dogs, pickup trucks, and trailers. ;)

South FL is great but the real estate costs are rising there...the gulf Coast or central FL can still be a bargain in terms of living expenses.

You're welcome to stop and stay here anytime; just ixnay on the ipperstray arbays, OK? :p

Originally posted by SuperSix
You can stay at my place for a day or two.. I'm in Notrh Tampa...

Thanks SuperSix for your generous offer. I will for sure keep it in mind! I'm always amazed by how many genuine, friendly people there are in the Buick community!

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor
hey why dont you come down here with some of your M1 Garands so i can preview one before i buy one? :cool: :D :cool:
-Neil

Hehe, well I'm only down to two Garands at this time after having sold one. You never know I'm a addict when it comes to those old rifles, there will probably be another in my future soon! I do still have 3 Springfield M1As though to keep the M1s company in the safe!

Originally posted by KendallF
Ben, you don't want to go over to the Redneck Riviera..aka the Gulf Coast. :D Ahh, who am I kidding, Jacksonville is just south Georgia with 2% fewer dogs, pickup trucks, and trailers. ;)

South FL is great but the real estate costs are rising there...the gulf Coast or central FL can still be a bargain in terms of living expenses.

You're welcome to stop and stay here anytime; just ixnay on the ipperstray arbays, OK? :p

But Kendall I might fit in just fine on the Gulf Coast since I have a streak of "neck" lineage through my parents that goes all the way back to east Tennessee. :D I have a pickup, and I could always acquire a trailer and a dog if that is the price of admission. ;)

I much prefer LA (lower Alabama) or the Panhandle area over lower Florida. Though it's not as nice to visit in December. The main reason is cost of living. Then again, most places in Florida will seem like a bargain to you. 400k in P'cola will buy you a 3k sq ft. house on the water. Then again, the pay is a lot less here for equal work.

Naples is great, i went there a couple months ago for a day trip, it scared me the people over there are friendy! in my neck of the woods (SE Florida) people just dont give a damn, and i am out numbers a bizillion to one in old people to young... or so it seems....

one place that i told is nice and cheap at the same time is i think sarasota, my sister thought about moving there at one time, i think thats were at least. and you could get a .25 acre out there for i think $6,000... dont quote me on that...

I also sent you a PM... wanting to know if you ever puchased from the CMP....

thanks

-Neil

Neil - what are you doing messing with High Power? I shot Competitively for many years.

NOW my toy is a Target 50 BMG. 1000 yards is CLOSE hee hee

Terry

Originally posted by tlturbo
Neil - what are you doing messing with High Power? I shot Competitively for many years.

NOW my toy is a Target 50 BMG. 1000 yards is CLOSE hee hee

Terry

While we're on the subject of hardware.....how gun friendly is Florida? Is it a Class 3 state?

By the way tlturbo, I sometimes wonder what in the world I'm thinking trying to shoot highpower. Wearing a heavy shooting coat with a sweatshirt underneath on a 100 degree day has to be about the most uncomfortable form of the shooting sports in existance! Not to mention I'm too stubborn to switch over to the AR-15. I keep plodding along with my Garands and M1As. Best regards from a fellow shooter. :)

Hey Ben
In ref.to interest in SWFlorida,I totally agree with RareT,Justin & all the gang here.As far as vacationing here we got daa Best Beach in Sarasota its called Siesta Key,45 minutes from Pt.Charlotte,water temp.83 degrees its been averaging 85-90 outside temps since May,shootin is pretty good one range is
20 minites away 25yds-150,only deer is Sika{swamp deer}
good eating and a lot of good ole boys like hunt wild pig,great eating.Im in Deep Creek,a deed restricted are,very clean with very strong enforcement.Virtually no crime but its soo easy to get a carry license.I do pack a .45 H&K,only bcause I can.Its fine if U dont mind driving on the defense.Top Dollar cost house wise is
180-285m with a pool.Or in Punta Gorda Isles right on a canal,within 35 minutes to the Gulf.

Dick