need some explination

denn454

turbo swimmer
i have to know where these imprt guys get their 1/4 mile times. i was hanging out with some friends last night that are big into the whole import thing, so were hanging out in a parking lot listening to these two guys bench racing over whos car is faster. an old crx with a big motor and a turbo, and a hatch back with about the same setup. so there going on and one of them said last year at the track he went high 12's before the turbo so his car must be a mid-high 11 sec car now and all the other import guys agree. me not knowing the slightest thing about anythign with 4 cylinders other than it takes a TON to run 11's in almost anything believe it, they do have a list of things done to these cars a mile long. so we end up heading out to go crusing some, both of these two cars sound very good for hondas, i hate that fart can sound and neither had that sound what so ever.

so i'm believing these cars really are the one in 1,000 fast hondas out there, luck would have it that the crx and me catch a redlight together. i'm in the gs that i told them runs 15.6 (because it actually does and i have time slips to prove it) so hes just looking to make me feel bad or something, i don't really know. so we take off on the green light, and i don't see him anymore. i pulled him through first gear and had about a car legnth. when i hit 2nd (dead gear in my car) he SLOWLY walked past me, maybe even crawled past me. so we stop again and he gets out and starts telling me about how i have an easy 12 sec. car and that i dont' know waht i'm talking about saying it runs 15's.

so where do they get these numbers from? do they build up simular cars on gran tourismo and assume that its going to run like their cars? i really don't get it. i'm going to slap a pulley on my car and say it runs 10's

Import Tuna magazines. Stink like 3 day old fish.

The fastest way to turn an 11 second car into a 15 second car is to take it to the track.

They use ricer math:

K and N= 10 hp
Catback= 10 hp
Plug wires= 10 hp
Neons and assorted stickers= 20 hp

TOTAL= 50 hp gain, yo!

Your Turbo T must run 8's then, lol.

One of the security guards in my apartment building had a hatchback civic, eraly 90's or so, and he claimed it would put 400 horses to the ground. I asked him where he got the dyno done at, but he didn't get a dyno done at all. Okay, I asked him what it runs at the track, and he says it SHOULD run 12's, but it's never been there.

Huh? I guess the logic comes out of the tuner magazines or something.

Not that I would mind having a CRX as a daily driver, though...

There are a couple of guys across the road from me where my tint shop is at. They are into Hondas and sport bikes. They have fabricated about 5 turbo kits so far for a couple of different cars.

Well, they kept talking about one of the CRX's that they have with a turbo. So I wanted to take a ride so I could see what their idea of fast was.

Boy was I suprised when we got out on the open road. I knew it was pretty quick after I went for a ride, He took it to the track that same week. The car went 8.70 at 92 in the 1/8th.

I like these guys, they don't care about stickers and fart cans, they do their own turbo kits, and they love my GN. They are truely exceptions to rule as far as ricers go.

Billy

I was at the track a couple of weeks ago and witnessed an old Civic run 11.1 in the 1/4! All I could hear was the turbo as it went by. It had a totally unassuming look too, no fart can, wing or stickers.

Saw an add for a turbocharged CRX:

Documented 457 WHP (with dyno sheet), runs the 1/4 in 12.6. :rolleyes: FWD. . .

reminds me of the 800+ SAE hp (saw the dyno chart) MR2 that ran low 11's,
horsepower sells cars, torque wins races ;)

From my experience, most of it is just guessing. Everyone wants to be running low 12s or better and they try to build themselves up to show off in the import community. Take my car for example. Stock, it made 195hp at the crank and somewhere near 130-145 at the wheels. Now, add more boost 18psi up from 15psi, an upper intercooler pipe 2.25in instead of 1 7/8ths, less rotating mass without balance shafts, a beefier clutch, lighter flywheel, various weight savings, 4 bolt limited slip rear diff, turboback exhaust, and stickier tires and my best guess is probably somewhere in the 230-240 crank hp range. I'd like to be in the 12s but it's probably still a high 13 second car. I haven't taken it to the track or the dyno yet and it'll probably still be awhile before I get a chance to take it. Most of the guys you hear talking about their 11 or 12 second cars don't have any idea what kind of power or times they can run. They simply go off of what their told is "possibly" what they're making and tell everybody that.

Mind you, I've talked with a guy nearby that owns a FWD car that has similar mods and he ran a 12.9 (I've seen the time slip) with his setup and claims that mine should be faster because I'm AWD. Regardless, it's still not fast enough!

samandw said:
Saw an add for a turbocharged CRX:

Documented 457 WHP (with dyno sheet), runs the 1/4 in 12.6. :rolleyes: FWD. . .

reminds me of the 800+ SAE hp (saw the dyno chart) MR2 that ran low 11's,
horsepower sells cars, torque wins races ;)
show me that 800 hp mr2,It should runing alot better then 12's.Beleive me i know what theyre capable of :rolleyes:

Wow, that must take cubic dollars squared to get them that fast.