Need some advise, getting back into the game

Justa231

I've owned my Buick for the passed 15 years. Did some work to it, it has sat for the passed couple of years, and now starting to work on it again. I meet a guy who has a 10 sec Buick and asked for some advise. I told him my set up and my goal and he made some recommendations and would like some opinions.
First, my goal is mid 11's. The motor and tranny has been rebuilt. Here is the main stuff that I have: TA 60, 36 lbs injectors, Dutweiller neck on stock intercooler, SMC alky kit, 3" down pipe and 3" exhaust, LT1 MAS, Reds fuel pump and I was told 373's in the rear. Turbo Tweak chip was recently installed. Car recently ran 12.6. prior to Turbo Tweaks chip. Prior to the Large turbo, 3" downpipe and LT1 MAS, car ran 12.0. I thought I was going to get into the 11's with the new set up and I was wrong.
I am now being told to change the gears to 3:42's or 3:23's from the 373's. Is this recommended?
I was also told to get a different Alky set up. Would this make a difference?
Lastly, I was told to get 60lb injectors? My car does not run lean and I do not get any knock at 24 lbs.
I know you will probably need more information, but any advise is appreciated.
I'm not sure if I should spend over $1,000 to change my car when I believe that I have a good enough set up already to reach my goal.

If i were you.....I would go back to stock gear 3.42 and go with 60lb injectors. Then call Eric at TT and get a new chip burned for the injector change :) If the SMC kit is working.....thats fine. Alot of folks still use that kit....save your $$$ then when it goes bad go get an Alky Control kit :) that should put you into the 11s ;) about 500 bucks instead of a G

Any idea what torque converter you have? For that turbo a 2800 - 3200 stall would be recommended. It has to spool quicker to get the ET down. Other than the converter I think you have all the parts you need.

To check your gear ratio, jack the car up and put it in neutral. Put a piece of tape on the tire and mark a line that coincides with the floor. Then put a piece of tape on the driveshaft and mark a line on it. Spin the rear tires by hand. Count the revolutions the driveshaft turns to one full revolution of the tire. If the driveshaft turns 3 1/2 times, your gears are 3.42; if it turns 3 3/4 times your gears are 3.73 (its difficult to get the exact # of turns but you will be really close). I bet you have stock 3.42 gears.

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/ a good place to start reading. If you don't mind, take a minute and fill out your signature, so the members can see all your modifications, (at a glance) in future posts you make.
Sounds like you will be spending time at the track, I would recommend you look into a Power logger to record your run, then post it up here and the experts will chime in to exactly what you need to do. As far as the car going slower with the new combo, actually more common then most would think, the parts combination have to be compatible with each other first thing that comes to mind, turbo/converter combination.

Chuck

Any idea what torque converter you have? For that turbo a 2800 - 3200 stall would be recommended. It has to spool quicker to get the ET down. Other than the converter I think you have all the parts you need.

To check your gear ratio, jack the car up and put it in neutral. Put a piece of tape on the tire and mark a line that coincides with the floor. Then put a piece of tape on the driveshaft and mark a line on it. Spin the rear tires by hand. Count the revolutions the driveshaft turns to one full revolution of the tire. If the driveshaft turns 3 1/2 times, your gears are 3.42; if it turns 3 3/4 times your gears are 3.73 (its difficult to get the exact # of turns but you will be really close). I bet you have stock 3.42 gears.

I have a 2800 pro torque converter.

Unless it's rich, I would think 24psi with your combo would easily be in the 11's. What are your O2's and do you have a wideband? How much boost are you able to launch with?

Have you ever changed the fuel pump? Is it hotwired? You might want to put a fuel pressure gauge on and see if FP rises 1 psi with each pound of boost.

Unless it's rich, I would think 24psi with your combo would easily be in the 11's. What are your O2's and do you have a wideband? How much boost are you able to launch with?

O2's around 780. Not sure what a wideband its. Launch around 8 lbs.

Have you ever changed the fuel pump? Is it hotwired? You might want to put a fuel pressure gauge on and see if FP rises 1 psi with each pound of boost.

Yes, Reds fuel pump and hot wired. Years ago. I have a fuel pressure guage in the engine compartment. You think fuel may be my issue? I was going to change the fuel filter. Dont remember the last time it was changed.

Take it back to the track and turn up the boost into mid 20s, shooting for the 780 o2 as you have been getting, adding fuel with the TT chip as necessary. The 36s would be your limiting factor from what I see, but you're getting 780s, though you didn't mention the boost level you were running. The 373 are usually unnecessary and may slow you down.

Take it back to the track and turn up the boost into mid 20s, shooting for the 780 o2 as you have been getting, adding fuel with the TT chip as necessary. The 36s would be your limiting factor from what I see, but you're getting 780s, though you didn't mention the boost level you were running. The 373 are usually unnecessary and may slow you down.

Boost was around 24lbs

Yes, Reds fuel pump and hot wired. Years ago. I have a fuel pressure guage in the engine compartment. You think fuel may be my issue? I was going to change the fuel filter. Dont remember the last time it was changed.
Couldn't hurt to change the fuel filter. Might improve your gas mileage too. You won't be able to check your fuel pressure with that gauge while driving. Caspers sells one that is on a long hose that you stick under the wipers so you can watch it as you accelerate. I would do that before I change the injectors, as it is a handy tool to have. I finally bought an electric gauge that I put inside the car. I'm on my third fuel pump. I too bought a Red's XP pump and installed it a month ago. Hoping it lasts longer than the previous Walbro pumps.

Couldn't hurt to change the fuel filter. Might improve your gas mileage too. You won't be able to check your fuel pressure with that gauge while driving. Caspers sells one that is on a long hose that you stick under the wipers so you can watch it as you accelerate. I would do that before I change the injectors, as it is a handy tool to have. I finally bought an electric gauge that I put inside the car. I'm on my third fuel pump. I too bought a Red's XP pump and installed it a month ago. Hoping it lasts longer than the previous Walbro pumps.

Thanks, going to check out Caspers website. Something I should have to properly tune the car.