need some advice on getting more power

trucky12

I had a 84, got rid of it and got a 87 Grand Nat. I am very very mechanically inclined, can do anything auto but no littl eon this turbo stuff. Anyway, I want more bang for the buck. All I know that was done is test tube and a new OEM spec turbo put in, otherwise the car is a virgin. What are the first and cheapest steps to making it quicker, basically to beat the Mustangs on the street. I want to know which stuff and how much power if you could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!!:confused:

First let people know where you are. The help you will receive from board members is unbelievable.
Get some scan tools to enable you to see what is going on. ALKY is awesome. A TT chip and a set of injectors with a slightly larger turbo will make you smile alot.
Learn how to tune and make changes slowly or you will be learning how to install head gaskets very quickly.

Bryan

how big a turbo, and how many pound injectors do I need. Say I do those things with a TT chip, do I need the bigger fuel pump, and adj fuel pressure regulator.

injector size will depend on turbo upgrade, for example, the first turbo upgrade I did was a BB 6152 unit, put 60lb injectors on it with stock fuel pump. Ran out of injector quickly, and destroyed the bottom end of the engine.

I now have 95lb injectors with a 70hpq turbo and have not seen over 70% injector duty cycle yet, but turbo and injectors are the least of what has been ugraded after the mishap with the stock bottom end.

Take your time, read the link above. All of the link above!!! It will have huge payoffs in the end.

One would rather think you ran out of fuel pump/fuel supply first--rather than the 60#ers being undersized...:confused:

Yeah, there was alot going on when we first started. I believe the injectors were part of the problem, but the bottom end was suspect from day one. Oh yeah, we were running pump gas with no alky and not being bashful with the boost :redface:

Scanmaster, Turbo Tweak chip, Alkycontrol, MT Drag radials. Should be enough to run high 11's.

Are u serious, a scanmaster, turbo tweak chip and alky will get me that fast, really, wow!!, I appreciate it all you guys, this is great, I am making such a shoppin list to get tis thing woopin ass!!, but yet dependable

Are u serious, a scanmaster, turbo tweak chip and alky will get me that fast, really, wow!!, I appreciate it all you guys, this is great, I am making such a shoppin list to get tis thing woopin ass!!, but yet dependable

Good luck I have that & a bit more and can only crack 12.6. :mad:

well I need true honest ingredients that are a true and tested to get the most bang for little buck

Keep your boost down until you know how to AND understand tuning these beasts. These cars can quickly cost you a fortune and alot of downtime replacing head gaskets, bearings, heads, etc if you push them too hard without the proper tune. Take it slow and easy and read, read , read. Post where you live so that nearby members can offer help. This will get you the best education and understanding of these awesome cars.

Bryan