need quick tips on location and adj of P/N switch

tim87tr

Obsession or Digression?
Need to locate and adjust my P/N switch. My backup lights come on in neutral:rolleyes: , and I know this needs to be right to adjust parameters in my new Extender Extreme setup. I've got a race on Saturday, so quick tips appreciated. I am looking at the service manual, but not completely sure about the procedure. Nothing like changing things at the last minute;)

put your car in reverse and adjust the switch till the lights turn on then continue pushing switch and count clicks till they go off, then push back half that amount ,
the service manual tells you to use a test light to probe the harness at the switch to know when it lights rather than get out and check the lights each time you adjust , either way works
i use a scan tool(otc and autoxray) to let me know when the car recognizes park as that needs to function properly to avoid a false code 24 (no vss signal )

Typically the PN switch is at the base of the column.

Thanks for the quick advice. I went out to look at the steering column and see the brake switch and then a switch closer to the steering wheel with a small metal rod connected to another white plastic item. I thought that was it and pushed in the the button area the rod connects to and clicked it. After 20 clicks and checking it every few clicks, the reverse lights are still not on in reverse. Am I heading in the right direction, or am I adjusting the wrong thing? My service manual does show a pic on pg 7A1-6, but it's not real clear on location.

Originally posted by Shuterdown
sounds to me like you were messing with the High beam switch...
Yes, you're right. I believe I found it, a rounded white plastic piece on top of the steering column down by the pedals and firewall, right? I moved it some and it clicks, but it hasn't changed my problem with the reverse lights. Can you tell me how to adjust this switch? TIA

Case closed

The rounded plastic piece ratchets and following pacecarta's advice, leave the shifter in reverse and check for backup lights. For those of you with Extender Extreme chip with adjustable parameters, you can see on the scanmaster if the adjustment is "fine-tuned" correctly, meaning BU lights may be on, but the adj parameters will not correctly follow the instructions adjustment grid.

There is a drive rod that comes down from the steering column to the tranny. Usually when the backup lights are on in the wrong gear position, and the car starts properly (only in park or neutral), that rod is out of adjustment.

Simply loosen the pinch bolt at the bottom of the rod and push the rod up (usually they start slipping with usage). It may take a few tries, but with someone going through the gears and checking the point where the backup lights come on, eventually you will find the correct adjustment.