need QUICK help, how to i.d. rear end?

eiuskoalman

where is the rear end tagged or stamped? and is it labeled the same as the rpo sticker (g80)?? i'm going to look at another car and i dont know its history, want to make sure its got what its supposed to have. thanks aaron

Don't know about a label or tag. However, an 8.5 is visibly different from a 7.5 inch rear.
The 8.5 has a circular cover whereas the 7.5 is more "flat" across the bottom..
Also, the 8.5 has "ears" on each of the lower corners where the 7.5 has two "fangs" that protrude off the lower corners.

Sorry for the crude discription.. I believe GNttype.org has a rearend picture section.
Goodluck..:)

well, i'm guessing at this point that it is the correct rear. i've got a few pics of the #'s casted into the housing. one of them looks like G306 another is 4075742. any of these make any sense to anyone? thanks again, aaron

thanks for the link but i didnt find any help over there. anybody else know anything about the above mentioned casting #'s??:confused:

I cant do anything with the casting numbers but if you look on the right side axle tube there should be some numbers and letters STAMPED into the tube. Post back with these and I can decode it for you. You might have to take a wire brush and scrap it down to bare metal.

Eric Fisher

Originally posted by 1ARUNEM
Don't know about a label or tag. However, an 8.5 is visibly different from a 7.5 inch rear.
The 8.5 has a circular cover whereas the 7.5 is more "flat" across the bottom..
Also, the 8.5 has "ears" on each of the lower corners where the 7.5 has two "fangs" that protrude off the lower corners.

Sorry for the crude discription.. I believe GNttype.org has a rearend picture section.
Goodluck..:)

LOL-

That is good info, wished i had read this before!!!

but your post didnt have any pictures in it:p :D
BW