need info and recipes

natethegreat85

drive fast, take chances
I am starting this thread to get some help. Hopefully you all will post plenty of info all in here so when I'm ready, I won't have to keep using the search.

Bought an 85 GN in 2008 as a college graduation present to myself, and a year before the wedding date so she couldn't stop me :cool:. Anyway, my dad and I just replaced the steering, brakes, and control arms front/rear suspension with all the parts from Brian at gbody (awesome vendor). Handles like brand new.

I'm new to these TRs and my dad's expertise is in the 60s muscle cars. He's built a 69 Buick GS, 67 Olds 442, and starting a 61 Bel Air right now. Needless to say, he knows cars, but his knowledge is limited with our regals. From what I've read on all the posts I've seen, there's a lot of tuning that goes on with our cars.

I want to keep it a hot air, but want to be able to smoke the new "muscle" cars that are out i.e. mustang, camaro, challenger. Its my daily driver, and would like to keep it that way. I was born in 85, my car is an 85, it will stay an 85 (no intercooler):). I am sentimental, yes, but I'd rather give up the 35 or 40 HP to keep it HA. and I've heard Alky does wonders.

When I pull the engine/trans, I want to already have all my parts and just have to wait for the machine shop to do its thing.
So I need everything - heads, crank, cam size, bore, tranny, rear end, electronics... any recipe from any hot air out there and the successes and failures with them. I am very new to the car world, so any info you post will help as I am still trying to learn a lot. Call me crazy, but I don't plan on going to the track, I just want a fast, reliable car with above 15 mpg.

-Nathan

Attachments

• IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 232
Nice lookin 85. Welcome. I know this isn't what you want to hear, bv read up here on as much as u can, get to know your car, how it reacts, and works. Then concern yourself with mods and recipies. Don't try to get everything at once...see how the car responds to each thing you change...then you will be happier, and maybe not as broke in the end. Everyone told me this when i first got into it...i wish i woulda listened...

Welcome aboard Nate. If that's Dallas, TX. I'm in Hillsboro. I've got a passenger side header that is in for crack repair and is ported for a HA if you're interested. I can work it on an exchange basis so I have another one to port. The drivers side header is very restrictive because of the way it was made and it will help the turbo to spool better if you port it. If you're interested in some extra parts PM me. I've got some HA parts laying around that I doubt I'm gonna use.

thanks charlie. i'll probably be hitting you up about those parts. what do you guys think it the first thing i should do to this car? i was thinking about the ecm or other electronic stuff so that i could use a scan tool.

Mark made some good suggestions on the HA knowledge base. Just about everything you need to know is there. I'd also check some of the other issues like the suspension bushings and body bushings.

Now that you've got some posts under your belt post some pics of her and we can get a better look at what you got to play with.

First thing:

Is there something wrong with the stock motor and trans?

If not,leave them in. There's nothing to be gained in power or reliability by rebuilding a perfectly good stock shortblock.

Check the tranny forum for the basic mods to your trans. If it's in good shape throw the basics at it and leave it alone too.

These two things will leave you money and time ahead to mod and enjoy your car.

here are a couple pics of under the hood. the turbo has a bent screw or something thats messed up. i'm sure i've got exhaust leaks in one or both the headers. i replace the cardboard every weekend after commuting to work all week. not sure if all that oil is supposed to be there, so i'm sure every gasket needs to be replaced and i figured might as well change the cam while i'm in it. if thats a bad idea, let me know. just not sure what the 204, 206, 212 and the numbers mean and what it does to performance. like i said, i'm still learning, although all these threads are slowing building my knowledge base.

i at least planned on buying scantool, 86 ecm, 36#, hotwire, weld and port headers, gaskets all around, and gut the cat by the end of the summer. i figured that would run me at or around 1000 bones including misc materials. then come winter i'd find a turbo. thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2230.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 150
i at least planned on buying scantool, 86 ecm, 36#, hotwire, weld and port headers, gaskets all around, and gut the cat by the end of the summer. i figured that would run me at or around 1000 bones including misc materials. then come winter i'd find a turbo. thoughts?

IMO- You are on the right track. I would consider 42# since they are the same cost and you will need a new TT chip anyways. I would not open the engine up simply for oil leaks. Cardboard and oil is cheap. Find out where the oil is leaking from. The dye with floressant light works well. My two cents is don't bother with the cam until you have to open up the motor. Brad

IMO- You are on the right track. I would consider 42# since they are the same cost and you will need a new TT chip anyways. I would not open the engine up simply for oil leaks. Cardboard and oil is cheap. Find out where the oil is leaking from. The dye with floressant light works well. My two cents is don't bother with the cam until you have to open up the motor. Brad

I'm gonna agree with Brad here. Fix what you need to for now and enjoy the car. Do simple mods to her and get used to it first. Figure out how everything works and decide what you want to do. Then gather parts and wait until you have everything before you start tearing into the engine.:smile:

i agree with the above 2 posts. however i disagree on the injector choice. get 60's and a TT chip and you will later have the option to use the 60's for Wideband correction chip later down the road if you chose to use it. if you go 36's, 40, 42.5 you wont have the option to have WB correction.

Fix the up-pipe bolt which is pretty easy. find the leaks which could be easy. easy as the valve covers or back of the intake. fuel pump, adjust regulator, ecm conversion etc comes after all that. let us know what you want to do

Brent is right on...i started with 42's, then went to 60's, Now im already maxed out on those...get 60-s and be done...unless you wanna run E85...thats a whole different area...

thanks for the advice guys. i'll find the leaks, take care of that up pipe bolt, and move from there.

i'm nervous about the wiring and computer type stuff, so i'll keep in touch!

Send me a note if you have a problem Nate. I can help you if you just need advice or I'm not that far away and charge $35 an hour. Just opened the shop and it's getting there, but a little slow with the ecconomy like it is.

I bet that your exhaust leak is coming from that up pipe rig,thats not strong enough. Good luck.