need helpbuilding liquid to air system

chevyII

I'm tring to get some ideas on how to run a liquid to air cooler system in my hybrid car. I'm planning to use either a spearco or PTE cooler rated around 1500HP in the engine bay behind the radiator. The headers on my engine have the turbo facing forward so the compressor outlet will connect directly to the cooler via silicone hose. I plan to use a meziere pump for the water and a combo fuel/water (8 gal) tank in trunk. My question is I plan to street drive the car some for short drives. Do I need some sort of condenser in front of the radiator to cool the water? I also may run a trans cooler on the return line also.

Is the hybrid you are putting this in the chevy II? I have a liquid intercooler in my 1963 chevy II. It does require a heat exchanger and I put mine in front of the radiator and I had to modify the front panel to make it fit. this is the heat exchanger I used: Air to Water Heat Exchanger It requires a pump and I used the one from a ford lightning they sell it on the above website as well. with the radiator out I had an area hidden in front(under heat exchanger) where I put the pump. I bought a jr dragster 1 gallon aluminum fuel cell from summit and had the correct fittings welded on to the bottom and side. This is the reservoir and you will see it in the picture on the pass side front of the fenderwell. I have put ice in it before when I was running gas. Some guys run the reservoir to the trunk and it is larger to accomodate more water and you can put alot of ice in it but be carefull they can freeze and crack stuff. I bought all of the hoses and A.N. connections from summit. Beware the fittings and hoses will really add up in $$$. My intercooler is 16" wide by 12.5 inches deep. it does not look that deep from the pics but it slides into the wheel well a long way. It does not rub at all with the tire size I have but if you are running a taller tire you might check it out. here is a link to some pics of my car and if you need any different pics I will be happy to take them. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hybrids/270436-1963-chevy-ii.html

At the track, use ice water. On the street, use methanol injection. (use it at the track, too.) Use a BIG heat exchanger installed in the return line from the intercooler. That will suffice on the street for moderate boost levels, depending on ambient temps. Install the heat exhanger (a small radiator would work great) in front of the engine radiator. Intercooling takes presidence to engine cooling. By cooling the water before it reaches the ice/water tank, it'll help maintain the ice longer. If it is a serious power maker, expect to replace the ice after every pass. Have a big drain valve in your tank to allow quick draining of the tank between rounds. Bring a trailer full of bags of ice, too.;)

i wonder if anyone has ever used dry ice to throw into the resivore tank and had a topside vent valve for it to vent out fumes to the outside of the cab. then you done have to drain between passes, just throw more dry ice in when the vent tube stops "white smoking" :redface:

Thats the same core I was looking at. What are the tanks made of ? I was thinking the 1/2 connections might be to small. Yes its for my 63 chevy. I already planned on running the alky with 93 on the street but wasn't sure if I could get by with no core on the return line. I could even get one size bigger core a PTE 2000 to get by if i could with no core.

The intercooler is made out of aluminum and the heat exchanger in front of the radiator on the return line is metal. My lines are 3/4" and use -12 fittings. I am certain you have to have a heat exchanger and a reservoir of water. If you do not the intercooler water will just "heat soak", and the intercooler will be VERY VERY inefficient at cooling the air no matter what size intercooler you buy. Like some of the other posters have stated, "some people run a large reservoir and they will add a bunch of ice and even change out the water to keep it cool". I personally have not changed the water, but when I ran on pump gas up to 15psi boost I had no knock issues. Then I switched to E85. If I had to do it all over again, I would not go with the liquid intercooler. I am running E85 and at 30psi boost have never data logged any knock with 21.5 total timing. If I was to do it over again I would run an air to air front mount. The E85 will do the most of the cooling for me. I bet I have an additional 60+ lbs on the nose of that car when you add up the weight of the heat exchanger/intercooler/connections/hoses/reservoir/2.5+gallons of water. Also Spec out on paper and price everything before you go this route. I spent well over $400 on AN fittings and hoses alone. Not trying to turn you away from liquid intercooling just trying to give you the information I know from my experience of doing this. Best of luck to you, and please SEND ME SOME PICS of this car!!!!! I HAVE to see it!!!!!!:D

Attachments

• 102_7729.jpg
    102_7729.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 102_7730.jpg
    102_7730.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 102_7728.jpg
    102_7728.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 102_7727.jpg
    102_7727.jpg