Need help

eviljay

I replaced the stock tranny with one from TCI. When they sent it to me it had the wrong governer in it so they sent me the new one and it was changed.Since than I have only put on about 500 hundred miles. The tranny just dosen't seem right. If I slowly get on it it seems to boost up and go however at WOT the car seems to shift way to soft and hold the gears to long between shifts. It almost feels like it's dumping all the boost. I have a stock 06 2.0t VW that seems to pull harder. I need some advice on where to start. Needless to say I am very disapointed in my legendary hot rod. Any help would be very appreciated.

I replaced the stock tranny with one from TCI.
Mistake...

When they sent it to me it had the wrong governer in it so they sent me the new one and it was changed.

.... evidence of mistake...

Needless to say I am very disapointed in my legendary hot rod. Any help would be very appreciated.

Sorry for your troubles,but don't blame the legendary hotrod.

I'd post this in the transmission section for more accurate help.

Sounds like the TV cable is not set right...to loose. Push it back in as couple clicks and see if it changes. The starting point should be done by (do not start the car until completed) pushing in the tab on the side of the TV cable bracket in and at the same time push the cable all the way in (toward the fire wall). Then get in the car and push the pedal to the floor until you feel/here the TV cable click. Now start the car and test it out...pull out clicks (extends the cable...loose) to soften shifts, push back in (shorten cable...tight) to firm up shifts. If it is not going into OD and/or shifting real hard the TV cable is to tight...take out a click or two.

Also make sure the fluid level is correct.

hth,
Scott

The TTA tranny is a special one off deal.. I hope you still have the OEM one. If not, your in trouble big time. That TTF valvebody is unique to the car.

Biggest mistake is letting a Non-Buick guy mess with your tranny thinking you'd be saving $$$.

Your 3rd and 30.. time to punt.

The TTA tranny is a special one off deal.. I hope you still have the OEM one. If not, your in trouble big time. That TTF valvebody is unique to the car.

Biggest mistake is letting a Non-Buick guy mess with your tranny thinking you'd be saving $$$.

yep, I've had more trans problems then I'd like to remember. Go to a Buick shop and at least get a BRF if you can't find a TTF

From what I recall the tranny from TCI is made to match up with the Buick 3.8 turbo.

PS out of 3 89 TTA's I've had 6 transmissions. the only one that held up was the 81 Nascar TH350.... but it only had 210HP :)

From what I recall the tranny from TCI is made to match up with the Buick 3.8 turbo.

Bolting up and working correctly two different issues.

You can beat this horse to death. The wheel is round in the tranny world as it comes to these cars. Get the correct one or stay frustrated forever..

Cant say how many have ended up selling their cars over the stupid tranny.

I still have the OEM tranny, however all the gears are smoked and it has been sitting behind my shed for about 4 years.

Call this guy 570-457-6517 name is Jack Has built my trans for my car, and 5 of my friends cars cars range from 12.20-9.6 all problem free. price $1000-$2000 depends on what your needs are.

Where, who, and how much? I thought TCI was a respectable company.

There is a guy on this board Brian. You can search him out. Spend some time in the transmission forums of this board and do some reading.

You may also check your region for other turbo buick bretheren and see if someone closer to you exists. Worse case it goes on a pallet and is shipped.

There are quite a few shops around the country that specialize in the 2004R. The vendors index is another place to look. I have my own guy here in Florida that now has it "figured".

I still have the OEM tranny, however all the gears are smoked and it has been sitting behind my shed for about 4 years.

Give me a call, I will be more then happy to talk with you. Most people complicate the build of a 200-4R. I have been building 200-4R performance transmissions that drive like stock, but get the job well done for over 18 years. I am also a TTA owner.....Call anytime…

Dave

extreme automatics

Call Extreme automatics and speak with Lonnie Dires , he's is the best trans guy in the business and will not rip you off.

turbo tom

Guy's. Thanks for all the info. At this point in our great economy I will be waiting on any changes. I did mess with the shift points and things seem a little better. I also noticed their was to much tranny fluid ( not that I know if this could effect the shifting) so I drained a little over a quart and it seems to be shifting harder at WOT. I do think plugs, wires, a coil pack and an upgraded chip would help seeing how it seems to stumble a little on the top end. Thanks again for all the info. I love my lengendary hot rod, don't get me wrong.