Need help with wiring switches (electrical experts)

turboost

I'm running wires for 2 switches. One is for the TCC lock up and it works fine but my other switch is getting its power from the ignition 1 from the fuse box and now nothing on those slots work (mainly no power to the glovebox or trunk latch or the switch) and now my taillights and parking lights on the passenger side are on when the key is turned on. Does anybody know what wire I may have crossed? I traced it out and I didn't cut into any factory wires except for the tcc and it works fine. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Find a different power source. Unhook the wire, check all fuses and use a different power source.

How did you wire up the TCC lock up? For locking up the TCC all you need it to ground one of the pins at the ALDL connectors.

I hooked up the tcc switch by splicing into the aldl port and it works fine. The other switch is for my nitrous and I have it running to my ign1 spot on the fuse box and it worked great until I tried hooking up a different switch to it. I even tried another switch and still has the same problem. Could a wire have come loose out of the back of the box and caused the taillight and park light to come on? I tried checking for loose wires and blown fuses and found none. I tried plugging it into ign3 and still no luck.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Pinched wire? dismount the switch and see if it works ok...run wires loose. Maybe it's shorting out some where/

The switch isn't mounted yet. The tcc switch and this switch are both running off the same ground wire so it must have something to do with the power wire. I traced it back to the fuse box and there are no cuts in the wire or grounded out anywhere that I can see. My scanmaster, boost guage light, and trunk all run off this same power source and none of them work now.

When I first hooked it up the switch lit up and everything was working. I disconnected the wires from the switches in order to put the console back in and when I connected the wires back is when this problem began so it worked for a brief moment which makes me think a fuse but none of them in the fuse box are blown. Is there a fusable link or inline fuse somewhere for the ignition?

Do you fuse you power connections? If you did not you could have shorted the wire out. I would check "all" connections at the fuse box you probally got a wire crossed.

I just turned on the lights and both tail lights come on but the passenger side park lights and headlight don't come on so I don't think its a burnt wire or fuse but a crossed wire but I never removed any wires I just added new ones. Plus it worked till I disconnected it and plugged it right back in so I don't know when a wire could have been crossed. Is there a main wire that runs all of these functions?

Well now the car won't start. When I tried to start it the radio turned off. I tried again and it keeps coming on for a second then off over and over again. Does this sound like a loose ground or crossed wire? I have looked over the whole fuse box. Is there a common ground to the whole fuse box that may be loose? Certain things work like I can hear my fuel pump come on but my wipers start to come on then stop and then finally go. Any wisdom is appreciated b/c as of now I am in over my head:) Now I can see why people say nitrous can kill your car.

wait...Why is there a ground wire going to the switch? maybe you're inadvertantly grouning out the power wire with the switch

You have multiple problems I would say.

First off I would take the shift plate off and find the gray wire for the console light and make sure it isn't shorting out somewhere.

Secondly I would go into the fuse box and remove your added wiring completely.

Thirdly check for blown fuses. That would be EVERY fuse in the panel, pull it and check with an ohmmeter.

Report back which ones if any were blown out.

Console light wire first. :)

PS: Change any bulbs or lamps in the car lately?

Ok, first off the car just needed charged and it started up.

Second the shifter light does work and I haven't found any blown fuses. The shifter light's power wire was cut so I did fix that to make it work before I hooked up the switches.

My nitrous switch has been there for months. I just added wire onto the existing wire and ran it to a different switch located in the ashtray so I haven't added anything new except the tcc switch and it works fine, thats what I don't get. I didn't mess with the fuse box or any other wires, just cut the existing and added more wire to it. And the previous switch had a ground so I am assuming that that isn't the problem but I have tried it without though.

I have disconnected everything I did and no luck. I put direct power to the switch and no light comes on, I put direct power to the glove box and nothing happens. While the car is running the right turn signal flashes off (stays on b/c of a burnt out park light that has been that way for a month or two) and comes back on and does it intermittently. I would think that putting a direct power to the switch or glove box would do the trick but it doesn't. Does this sound like a bad ground to the fuse box and would a bad ground cause all these other things to happen like my passenger side lights not coming on when I turn them on. I tried taking the fuse box out by removing those 2 bolts but it won't come out. Thanks for the help thus far, anymore would be very appreciated.

I just tried a different power source to see if I could get the switch to light up using the power from the shift light....and it worked....for about 1 second and then the chime telling you that you left your lights on quit. Now I think zam70 maybe on to something. But why would the tcc need a ground and not my nitrous? The original switch was a tripole with a built in light. The switch I have now is a dipole with a separate light so maybe this switch doesn't need to be grounded and I am just burning my car up:) what do you think?

Disconnect all add on accessories. Get EVERYTHING on the car working properly FIRST, then start with 1 accessory at a time. It sounds like you have a few problems.

The marker/tail light problem is due to a bad or wrong bulb in the system. Check that out first.

ANY switch with a light will need power and ground to light the lamp that is why there are 3 terminals and it should have a diagram on it which two are for the lamp.

What are you trying to with the Nitrous switch? Relocate it? Add a second circuit? Just extend it to the ashtray?

An improperly wired lighted switch can cause all kinds of odd problems.

Check again the 20A CIG/CLK fuse as that runs the glove box lamps etc.

The thing with the marker/tail light being on is that I do have a burnt out parking light and I had the turn signal on without knowing it causing them to come on when I turned the key.

The nitrous switch was a 3 wire switch. I am changing it to a 2 wire switch and extending it to the ashtray.

I am pretty sure that hooking up the ground to the switch is what is causing my problems as more and more things quit working. Now my turn signals don't light up but you can hear the flasher. the battery is completely dead in 2 minutes and now my fuel guage doesn't work. Could this all point to one thing or am I looking at chasing down all the wires? I am going to have the battery tested tomorrow and maybe the alternator. I would think that if the grounded switch cause a voltage spike that a fuse would have blown but I am not finding any. Could a certain relay have gone bad or could a shorted-out battery cause this as well? So far all the grounds I have checked are not melted or loose.